1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years in the planning stage and a month short of a full year to build.
I finally have my Nash bridges Gun.
Bob Reeves and the people at Nighthawk hit this one out of the park.

It's built on their Dominator model.
The slide is cut to commander length.
The barrel is a 38 Super Cone and Wilson/ Nowlin ramp.
The comp is a EGW slab with two ports and a Gold bead front sight.
Front strap is checkered 20 lpi, trigger guard is checkered 30lpi.
Top end is finished in DLC and Bottom is Hardchromed.
Grips are Deseret Ironwood by Woodcaliber.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Really cool, super unique build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
One of my favorite shows from the early 90's. You forgot to add your inspiration pics.

From imfdb:
SFPD Inspector Nash Bridges (Don Johnson) uses a highly customized 1911A1 pistol in .38 Super with a two port compensator. The gun was designed by Jim Zubiena, and built at Mac's .45 Shop. The pistol also featured a Colt MK IV Series 70 slide which was custom cut to Commander length and equipped with Bomar sights, with a BarSto barrel. The frame was a Springfield, which had been hard-chromed. It also has a Smith and Alexander flat mainspring with magazine well, a combat hammer, beavertail grip safety, extended slide catch, and an extended ambidextrous safety. It was used through all six seasons of the show.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shot it today! It was all smiles.
This gun is a blast to shoot. Flame out the comp, almost no recoil.
Extremely accurate.
The gun ate about 100 rounds of a bunch of differant brand ammo.
Almost all were hollowpoints, either 115 or 125 gr.
It really loved the Corbon and Double tap 115gr.

Had one failure to completely return to battery, that require a slight nudge to close the slide and fire. This was with the Sig 125 gr. hollowpoint.
And had a spent case weakly eject about three times. cleared the gun but dribbled out.
I'll contact Bob on Monday, and see what he thinks.
The recoil spring is a 8 lb. may need alittle heavier. It could also be stiff mag springs or alittle break in needed.

This gun really spoiled me. I don't even want to look at my Glocks now.:rock:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Very very cool build and glad you finally got it!

Bob is great to work with and will work through any issues. My guess is that its all related to break-in. An 8lb spring is super light, typically better utilized on well-broken in guns. Personally I would have it at 12-14 lbs for around 500-700 rounds then bump down. Lightest in any of mine is 9 lbs but they are 9mms.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great.......now Want one too:biglaugh:. Thats an awesome piece like the looks of the finish too. Live large!:rock:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I also remember Sonny Crocket's Bren Ten......oh how I wanted one.....working minimum wage at the time( $3.35/HR......wait did I just old age myself:eek:) it was, alas, a pipe dream!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You for the thumbs up.
I like the fact that this gun gives a nod to the early IPSC days.
The days of Blued steel slides over hardchromed frames.
The two port comp. the Bomar style rear.
Old School cool.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thank you D1911. I enjoyed the read.

I have a friend who has a Hemi Cuda that he restored from the ground up. He found it in a field on an Indian reservation in South Dakota about 25 years ago. Matching serial numbers. .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts