1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though I would post a short review of a Steve Nastoff gun I recently acquired. I generally don’t like or spend money on comp’d or race guns but when the opportunity to own a gun built by Nastoff presented itself I jumped at the chance. After finally getting the gun out to the range last night I figured I would share my experience and some of my thoughts on the gun with my fellow 1911 junkies.

Although I’m not sure when the pistol was built I would estimate by it’s styling that it was in the early ’90s. The gun is chambered in 45ACP, based on a 5” Springfield Armory frame and slide, and finished in hard chrome. The slide has been cut down by about 0.5“ to accommodate Nastoff’s full-profile 2-chamber comp (his “Super Comp 2” I believe) that is fitted to a 5” Bar-Sto bull barrel. This comp works very well and appears to be a very efficient configuration on this gun. Although my experience with comp’d guns is somewhat limited, with full power 230gr FMJ loads the recoil was minimal and as expected follow up shots were noticeably quicker. No big surprises here, the comp does it’s job very well.

The frame has been hand checkered at 20lpi on the front strap and on both the front and bottom of the trigger guard. Additionally the MSH has also been checkered to match. This stuff is sharp too!!! It’s by far the sharpest checkering I have ever felt and even my hands, which are pretty well callused from regularly shooting a gun checkered at 30lpi, were a bit tender after 200 rounds. There’s no doubt that if I wanted to make sure I could keep hold of a gun this would be the checkering to have. I can easily see the benefit to ultra sharp checkering in the competitive arena or if one were going to regularly shoot with gloves on. While just shooting the gun from a rest the checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard dug nicely into the index finger on my left hand and would not let go. There’s a helluva lot of grip here and the best part is it’s done perfectly.

The frame also features a flared or “swaged” magazine well that is topped off with an add-on mag-guide that has been welded to the MSH. It’s obvious the amount of time that must have spent with just this modification alone. The rear “web” of the frame between the magazine well and the MSH has had a portion of it cut away and the MSH with the welded on mag-guide fill in the resulting gap. In flaring the magazine well it is my understanding the Nastoff would bevel the inside of the mag well and then heat up the frame, insert a mandrel, and pound the it into it’s widened form.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nastoff Comp Gun cont.....

When combined with the flawless checkering, the gaping hole that is provided by Nastoff’s mag well modification is, as you can see, a really sweet piece of eye candy. This might just be my favorite view of the gun.

The frame also sports an old style Wilson Combat grip safety, Swenson ambi-safety, and a Videcki 3-hole trigger. Notice how Nastoff countersunk the holes in the trigger.... a nice touch. The mag release has been drilled and tapped and a larger button has been fitted and checkered at 30lpi. The cool part about the mag release is that when aligned correctly with the screw the button displays perfect little rows of checkering.

Moving on to the slide..... The rear face of the slide has been checkered at 50pli and the extractor and ejector appear to match up perfectly. Nastoff also fit, checkered, and chromed an extra extractor, which also matches the rear face of the slide without a flaw.

The slide is serrated on top at 40lpi. and French bordered both of which extend though to the comp. The buried Bo-Mar sight combined with the under cut front sight provide a very sharp and clean sight picture. The Bar-Sto bull barrel and full profile comp mate with the slide perfectly and both come together as if they were once a single part carefully separated for ease of disassembly. The gun locks up tight with no play in the barrel hood and delivered groups of just a hair over 1 inch at 15 yards.

The ignition set is pure Nastoff with the hammer standing out in particular. Notice how the hammer has been checkered at 20lpi, super cool and no doubt labor intensive!

The hammers half-cock notch has also been tapered to only contact the middle of the sear nose should the hammer fall to half cock. A crisp 3lb. trigger pull helps to put every round right where you want them. The trigger reset is equally crisp and also very fast. Not that I couldn’t tell before, but this gun was meant to race!!

Another nice touch is how Nastoff beveled the slide stop so not to interfere with the “thumbs forward” style of hold. Although I’ve never had any trouble with the slide stop when using the thumbs forward hold this modification is just an example of the forethought put into every little aspect of the gun. This was probably a custom touch that was born out of the experience gained by actually being a shooter and just reinforces the maxim that it’s shooters who truly know how to build great guns.

As one has come to expect the gun has been thoroughly de-horned leaving only the checkering and sights as sharp edges. The gun has very clean and traditional lines, albeit a bit longer, and wears only a diminutive makers mark that has been tastefully hidden underneath the slide stop.

I’m sure I’ve left out many other details of the gun that I either haven’t discovered yet or am not knowledgeable enough to notice..... hopefully the pictures will help shed some light on any I missed. Like many others who participate in this forum and others like it, custom 1911s are somewhat of an obsession..... or maybe more like a cottage obsession inside of an obsession. I’m no different. I absolutely love the 1911 but what really gets me going is a truly custom 1911. Weather it be the attention to the most minute detail or the obvious custom touches and “foo-foo” enhancements that one can only get from having a custom gun built, my heart really starts to beat and my interest peaks when I get to examine a finely built custom 1911. One thing I can say for sure is that examining and shooting this gun reinforces the reasons people have custom 1911s built. This is by far one of the finest pistols I’ve ever owned and an absolute joy to shoot. I sure hope Steve Nastoff goes back to building guns for the public and when he does I’ll be one of the first in line.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is the first time I have ever said this but that pistol has everything a 1911 should have.. It's a very tastefully done execution of detail and the Pro's should take a lesson from a pistol of that quality.... The only thing it doesn't have that I have grown a taste for is an extended slide stop.... But thats personal preferance..... Attention to quality a job well done...

Just think about what it looked like when it was brand new and never ran a race :eek: I'm surprised anyone ever shot it.....
I wonder how many rounds have been fired out of that pistol, from the looks of the wear of the hardchrome from under the slide stop it has dropped a lot of mags but one thing is for sure...
You found yourself one sweet pistol ....

You've already shot it and haven't said anything about accuracy you should be ashamed :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steele_37031 said:
Just think about what it looked like when it was brand new and never ran a race :eek: I'm surprised anyone ever shot it.....
I wonder how many rounds have been fired out of that pistol, from the looks of the wear of the hardchrome from under the slide stop it has dropped a lot of mags but one thing is for sure...
You found yourself one sweet pistol ....

You've already shot it and haven't said anything about accuracy you should be ashamed :biglaugh:
It’s my understanding that the gun has actually been used very little and I was told that the previous owner never shot a match with it. Which is funny to me seeing as how this gun, although now dated for IPSC, is such a great race gun. The wear underneath the slide stop is actually pretty minimal and the gun shows no other tell tale signs of wear that comp’d guns can eventually exhibit, such as marks on the front of the slide from where it contacts the comp.

As for accuracy.... from a rest the gun delivered 5 shot groups of just barely over 1 inch at 15 yards. At the same distance I also managed to shoot 50 rounds offhand into 1.75”..... Nastoff knows how to make ’em accurate!! :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for showing us your new blaster. Steve Nastoff obviously did some very nice work. Does anyone know if he is still building guns? This post said he doesn’t accept work from the public, does that mean he is that backlogged or is he no longer in the business? If he is still at it I think it would be nice to see some recent work.

·
Super Moderator
13,644 Posts
Steve doesn't build guns period, that's what I heard. Don't quote me on this but I think he's a consultant to the IRS or Postal Service or something :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts