1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
i have recently inherited a colt .45 national match with the serial number "C1946xx". i cant seem to find too much information on the gun. anyone know what year it was made,or if its worth anything? its in great shape!

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
The prewar national match is probably the finest 1911 Colt ever turned out. Built out of selected parts hand fitted, it was the very best that could be done at the time.
I am not competent to appraise it, nobody is without seeing it, but depending on originality of all parts, sights (adjustable vs fixed) and condition ("great shape" is not an NRA or Blue Book grade to go by), it is worth somewhere from a good many hundreds of dollars to several thousand. A nice piece, one of the nicest. Don't get cheated, don't mess it up. Especially don't get it refinished or altered in any way. If you have the box and papers, hang on to them, they add value and interest.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much for the reply. i dont intend on selling it,i was just curious. i cleaned it all up and took it to the range. it shot wonderfully. i guess i shouldnt be shooting a 1939 gun at the local range. maybe its better off in a display case.

thanks again

[This message has been edited by Chaps (edited 11-15-2001).]

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Why not?
Every gun I own gets shot, right back to 1906.
I would not put a nice and somewhat uncommon gun like yours through a heavy competition schedule, but an occasional outing won't hurt it. Keep it clean, keep its holster and/or rug clean, and feed it good ammo. It can give you enjoyment... and save your life.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Chaps,

Sounds like you have a great gun there! The only reason to not shoot it would be if it was in un-fired condition, obviously that is not the case.

Take it out and shoot it occasionally remembering that it is a 62 year old gun and of some rarity. If it were mine, I would use shock buffs, replace the recoil spring regularly and use moderate loads. Do not place it in a holster, that will wear the finish, and keep the surface parts lightly oiled.

Forget the display case and keep it in a gun safe that is warm and dry.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys! ill try to get a picture of it for you. im so excited i have a cool gun. im just starting out in shooting. and so far i absolutley love it!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That thing's not any good...Send it to me along with 50.bucks and I'll get it outta' yer way...You need a nice "new" gun...I'll take that one out and dispose of it properly so you don't have to...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thanks for your concern, but id just feel too guilty sending you only 50 bucks, how about $100??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts