1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to obtain the following 1911. What do you think?

Frame: Serial # 917,8XX.
- "GHD" inspector's initials.
- "VP" proof on rt side of trigger guard.
- frame marked "United States Property M1911A-1 U.S. Army.
- "SA" stamped on rt side under above.
- long, solid, adjustable aluminum trigger.
- front strap of grip is stippled.
- grips are plain wood checkered.

Slide:
- serrations are angled like a Gold Cup.
- Left side: NM7791435 (centered)
- Rt Side: Colts Pt. F.A. Mfg. Co. Hartford, Conn. U.S.A.
- fixed sites, front is a patridge type

Barrel:
- .45 Auto NM7791414/1616241 on hood
- link marked with an "S"
- barrel bushing marked 7267718NM
- full length recoil spring guide rod

Magazine: GI type marked "Colt 45 Auto" on base.

The whole 1911 is finished in a matte dark grey color that is almost pewter in color (not the grn-gry like the G.I. 1911's). Finish is about 95%.

Any opinions? NAA

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ben, thanks for the interest...

- no "NM" on the bow (only the "SA" right above the bow on the rt side).
- sites are marked "MMC" (front and rear).
- I'm thinking from what you say that the frame serial number doesn't match the second number on the barrel, so it's a mismatch?
- I didn't check behind the firing pin stop, would they have stamped the frame number there like on the GI Colts?
- the frame would indicate a 1943 mfg Colt frame, were these used to make NM pistols?
- what about the finish, did they redo them in a pewter color?

I used to own this 1911 a few years back and may have a chance to reacquire it. Does it sound authentic or something someone assembled to have a government issue "National Match" pistol?

NAA

------------------

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
You'll notice I stayed out of this before now. Identifying National Match pistols is very tricky, and highly dependent on first-hand experience to tell an authentic one from a basement armory rebuild. I haven't handled many National Match pistols simply because my interest lies with pistols in their original military configuration. I think Ben has several.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info... if I can, I will check under the firing pin stop too see if it mates with the frame. I am thinking this is just a cobbled together 1911 to look like an authentic NM. I may reacquire it, if the price is right, just as a shooter only, then. (But the price would have to be right!)

Anyway, you didn't make any comment about the finish. I earlier described it as a matte grey, like a pewter. Were the NM's refinished to a different finish? It doesn't look like the grn/gry of the GI pistols and obviously it is not the commercial blue. What do you think?

Regards, NAA

------------------

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ben, thanks for all your input. This 1911 is being touted as a U.S. Army Match 1911. I am thinking now that it is just a wanabe.

If the owner is willing to sell it reasonable, then I'll pick it up again as a shooter. If he thinks it's a safe queen and wants that value, then he can just keep it!

It does look interesting, though! Regards,NAA

------------------

·
Registered
61 Posts
NAA- FWIW
I have a 1911 with a top end nearly identical to what you describe...on an Essex frame. Clearly not a real NM, but one he// of a shooter. It will hold 1" at 25 yards all day. I call it a Frankenmatch. If you can get it for shooter money, it could be a dandy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can't tell from wanabe or not. As dsk mentions these are very hard to authenticate and inspect. The armorys had there experts which upon retiring and if so choosing (when they still had 1911 GIs). Were some of the best smiths and tuners in the world. I would have to inspect before purchase. And good work is easy to see. Where bad work sometimes is'nt always on the surface.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suspect this is a wanabe. However, it is on an authentic Colt 1911A-1 frame. And it does shoot (I previously owned it). If I can get it back for a decent 'shooter' price then I will (that's all I paid for it the first time around anyway) It is a nice looking 1911 to boot. Regards all, NAA.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts