1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it legal to posses a weapon in a personal vehicle within National Park boundaries? Assume it never leaves the vehicle and remains locked and out of sight.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I believe the current law in effect is that all firearms must be broken down, unloaded, and stored or properly cased.

Exactly what "broken down" means is not clear to me.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I took this from the NP site.. Ron

Change in Concealed Weapons Regulations
Due to recently enacted Federal law, there will be significant changes in the firearms regulations pertaining to the National Park Service which will take effect on February 22, 2010.

Until the new regulations takes effect, carrying a concealed firearms is not allowed and all possession of firearms within National Park Service lands must be in accordance with 36 CFR 2.4, which states firearms must be "rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that prevents their ready use."

Information concerning the new regulations will be posted prior to the February 2010 implementation date.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

G

·
National Parks Gun Law Takes Effect in February

A new law permitting concealed loaded firearms at National Parks will not take effect until February and the Interior Department will continue to enforce Reagan-era restrictions until then, a spokeswoman said today.

"Under the current regulation, firearms are generally prohibited, but citizens may transport unloaded and dismantled or cased firearms and carry firearms while participating in approved hunting programs and under certain other circumstances," Interior spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said in a statement released minutes after President Obama signed the credit card holders' bill of rights, which includes an amendment allowing firearms at the nation's National Parks and wildlife refuges.

The department plans to work on implementing the new law in the meantime, focusing especially on public safety and the safety of National Park employees, Barkoff said. Permission to carry a firearm into a park and the actual restrictions on such possession will vary by state, since the new federal law is governed by each state's firearms la

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
You need to know your states laws, as basically, they are what will become effective in Nat. Parks when the changes to the law take effect in Feb. '10.

The law (HR 627) that Obama signed basically prohibits "...the Secretary of the Interior from enacting or enforcing any regulations that restrict possession of firearms in National Parks or Wildlife Refuges, as long as the person complies with laws of the state in which the unit is found."

EDIT. There was 1 reply when I started. I type too damn slow!!! :biglaugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts