1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching American Shooter on Saturday, and it got to Rob Latham's shooting clinic segment. I'm watching these hoping Rob will reveal the secret to becoming a master pistolero, and here he is talking about not breathing when pulling the trigger, and not flinching. Totally back-to-basics stuff, not that there is anything wrong with that, just not what I was expecting. Now, this is going to come off as bragging, but really it isn't: the very first time I fired a handgun in any kind of formal setting I came within three points of qualifying as "expert". I do pretty well in local IDPA matches, not the best but certainly better than average. There are many, many shooters I see that couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. So is it talent or skill that makes a truly great shooter? Can someone truly learn how to be one? Are great shooters born or made?

Sorry this sounds like the topic of a Sex and the City episode.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I believe that some people simply have more raw "ability" with a firearm than others. I have noticed that novice women in general tend to outshoot novice men, all other factors being even.

I don't know what makes this true, but I think that there are indeed born shooters. The trick is to find a born shooter and MAKE him/her better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
The trick is to find a born shooter and MAKE him/her better.
Your EXACTLY right. All of you older guys with experience need to open up your eyes and find some young person that has talent. It upsets me to see such talented people not share their knowledge with those that are "below" them. Just my .02

Dustin

·
Registered
610 Posts
Funny that you should mention that novice women are better shooters than novice men. This was explained to me once upon a time by an Air Farce shooting instructer. "New women shooters are generally better than new men shooters becuase they don't have something to prove. Guys have seen the movies, have an ego, and want to prove that they can do it their way. Women, generally, are intimidated by firearms, and will listen to everything you tell them, and follow those instructions to the "T"."
I've noticed this in the past, watching women come into my local range for "training". Those that are serious about it, and listen to the instructors, become amazingly proficient in a short period of time. Guys seem to take a little longer. once the actually come to realize that they don't know it all, then they start getting better. That goes for myself as well.

Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I really do believe that anyone with "normal" physical ability and hand eye coordination can make IDPA Master and/or B class IPSC with a little dedication and hard work.

Still, guys like Rob, Jerry, Brian, Matt, and so on come from a very special gene pool...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast:
Do you see that a lot? Anywhere I have been the experienced shooters fall over each other to help a novice.
Yes I do. Im talking long term help here. For instance, whenever I go out to the range I always have someone come with me that could use some pointers. Or, I make the best effort to extend my invitation to others that are better than me to come out. Never has happened the other way around though.

I could provide you with several examples, but Im not. My simple point is that for competitive shooting to survive new people will need to be introduced as quickly as possible to this sport. Nurture those with the interest, combine it with their nature, and watch them excell.

Dustin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts