1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the Navy from Sept '81 to Sept '03. When I was a young Petty Officer we carried .45's on the quarterdeck. Not until after my retirement did I gain an interest in gun collecting and am trying to find out what the make was of the .45's we carried. I'm thinking they were S.A.'s but not 100% certain.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i was a gunner's mate in the nav. from '84-94 (2 ships and the seabees). all .45s were WW2 vintage colt. rem-rand and ithaca with a darned few US&S that i remember. we sent a bunch to crane, ind. for rebuild/check while i was in. most of the .45s i saw were in pretty good shape and shot like you'd expect a GI .45 to shoot: good!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
koshnaranek said:
i was a gunner's mate in the nav. from '84-94 (2 ships and the seabees). all .45s were WW2 vintage colt. rem-rand and ithaca with a darned few US&S that i remember. we sent a bunch to crane, ind. for rebuild/check while i was in. most of the .45s i saw were in pretty good shape and shot like you'd expect a GI .45 to shoot: good!
Thanks for the info.

I live about 45 minutes from Crane. Maybe I'll wander down there and talk with the old GM's.

Yes, the ones I fired were in great shape. Could always get a nice pattern on a FamFire/Qual.

Wish I had paid more attention. Spent enough time cleaning the damn things. I was an EW and everyone in Combat Systems was always on the ship's security team............naturally we got stuck with cleaning them 'cause we fired them the most.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was an Aviation Machinist's mate (3rd) at NAS Jacksonville from '82 to '86. I remember having to qualify with one for some kind of security detail they were asking for "volunteers" for. It was a Colt, I remember, and it rattled like it was gonna fly apart. Only experience I had with a 1911 in the service. We shot Colt "Aces" in boot camp at Orlando. Wish I could get my hands on one of those now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott Gahimer said:
sybaris: Where in Indiana are you located? I'm located in central IN also, about 25 miles from Indy.
Martinsville

I usually shoot at Coyote Creek on 67, get my ammo from Bradis.

Did you go to the gun show in Indy over the weekend?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I carried a Rem Rand and/or a Mossberg shotgun on board the USS Connole during my watch and in battle stations. They did have some .38 revolvers in the locker as well.
Cheers,
Ty

Here are my Navies today :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scott Gahimer said:
Shelbyville. I get over your way quite a bit. Not familiar with Coyote Creek, but frequent Bradis now and then for shooting supplies. Usually hit the Indy 1500 just on Friday afternoon before the crowd gets there. Don't often see many military .45s there, but it's a good way to spend a Friday afternoon and see a few friends.:)
There's another show in Martinsville this weekend. If you see a guy in a yellow cap with a big blue "N" on it that'll be me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts