1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
73,370 Posts
I've honestly never seen one of those. How were they typically mounted on the ship, or otherwise used? Since there are holsters on both sides obviously not placed flat against a wall.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is just a guess but maybe this board slid into a big rack/box/cage that could be locked up. Wasn't it common to not let sailors have weapons on board until and unless actual fighting broker out?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
What you have is called a boarding rack. Has crude holsters made and rivieted to it on each side. Notice the handle cut into the top. Sailors typically did not carry pistols on board ship during their everyday duties. However, when called to stations, the boarding rack allowed a man to run through a specific area of the ship and distribute pistols. You will see down on hte bottom of the rack, it will be stamped as being made at the Naval Yard in PA. I'd have to look at mine. Don't remember for sure, but I think it is dated also. They're not extremely valuable, but are indeed interesting. Navy boards sell for about $100-125 usually. Don't see a lot of them. But, they do show pu from time to time at bigger shows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts