1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a nice factory load for the .44 mag. It'll be going thru a 24" Winchester model 94. Any expeiences or stories would be great.

After a quick look double taps loads look promising. I wonder if anyone makes .44 loads specifically for a rifle?

BTW this is a load that will be used as Hog medicine. Need something with some Umph! behind it because we are looking at + 250# hogs.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check out the Buffalo Bore offerings. I've used their 300gr. JFN in my 4" S&W revolver and they're wrist crackers. Should really do a number on hogs. Bit on the expensive side, but very good and consistant ammo. The box I ran over my chronagraph only had a max deviation of about 25fps across the entire box.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I recently aquired the same firearm, sweet little gun. What really surprised me was the recoil, downright snappy for a rifle. Mine will see hog duty as well and will be a permanent fixture in the Jeep. Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Had one, sold it, going off to cry now.

Back when I was young and dumb, I had a "94 trapper in .44 mag. Awesome deer gun for the ranges I had a chance to shoot deer. Money got tight and I sold it, they were a dime a dozen and I figured I'd replace it sometime. Well, sometime came and they are pricey for one in good condition (used) or have an idiot button on the side (new). I't a lever gun for cryin' out loud! The hammer IS the safety!
Anyhow, I have heard nothing but good things about Buffalo Bore ammo.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Had one, sold it, don't think about it much.

I had a pre-safety Winchester 94 SRC top-eject. It was in near-new condition and I bought it from the original owner. I really liked the idea of it, but never really got out and shot it much. It had a hard plastic butplate and with full-power loads it was pretty snappy. I'd recommend a recoil pad of some sort. The top-eject always plopped rounds in my face, which was fairly annoying.

Overall, the Marlin's I've handled have much better actions than the Winchesters. If I bought another 44 lever gun, it would definitely be a Marlin.

My only lever gun is a Marlin 444P Outfitter. It does everything I need a lever gun to do, and more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll have to order a box or two and see what the rifle likes.

MEH92- actually my next levergun is gonna be a Guide Gun in 45-70. After looking at some of Garretts loads for it, is it possible to have to much oomph? :)

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
The big-bore levers are a ton of fun to shoot. I put a Pachmayr Decelerator pad on it and it is a pleasure to shoot. I fired 70 full-power rounds (265gr and 270gr reloads) off the bench in one afternoon when I was looking for an accuracy load and had no discomfort the following day. I did get smacked by the scope once, though.

Now mine wears a set of Ashley XS ghost-rings and will be sent away to Brockman's eventually for a Leupold scout scope and Talley rings/mounts, as well as a little custom work.

I love the gun and it has found a permanant home with me.

Good luck in your search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.