1911Forum banner

Need a Good Non-Extended Thumb Safety for my S&W 1911 Pd

1092 4
I just ordered a fullsize Pd, but the duty holster I am going to use for it is not very extended safety friendly and I find the thumb safety disengaged sometimes.

I would like a thumb safety that is perhaps a little more extended than a GI safety, but not as much as the factory safety.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
File down the thumbshelf on the stock part and then use cold blue touch up....I did mine that way and you cannot tell it was altered.....that way you can contour the lever just the way you want it. If you cannot do it yourself it's an easy job for a pistolsmith and will save the money from purchasing a new replacement. Hope this helps.

· Registered
18 Posts
I recently installed a Wilson Tactical safety on my 1911PD. I also dropped in an Ed Brown hardened slide stop.

I really like the size and profile of the Wilson part and it snicks on and off with authority....much more so than the factory part. I too found it to be a little on the large size for my taste and method of concealment.

Now, with all that being said, I researched the heck out of how to fit such a safety. And let me tell you, there was much fitting to be done. The pin would not even fit in the frame. I mean nowhere near drop in.

I have heard of others having much less fitting issues in Springers and such. It took me three days of fitting to get the thing in the gun and I must have disassembled the thing a thousand times while fitting it. Once I had it where it would install, I had to stone the lugs to where they would engage the sear properly.

I wouldn't want to fit another one. It was that much of a booger to do. I'd pay someone to do it.

I'll post a pic if I can of the new safety installed so you can check it out.

· Registered
18 Posts
Here is a profile shot.

And even though this was a bear to do, it did manage to really tighten up any side to side play in the beavertail grip safety. I fitted the pin to the frame and managed to get the fit on the beavertail good and tight also.

Now that my sear spring has been properly tuned and the extended thumb safety was hand fitted, there is almost no play in the beavertail at all which just cranks my tractor.

When I first got the pistol, the sear spring was not pushing against the beavertail. Very sloppy fit. The piece would rattle as I walked in shopping malls while it was IWB.

Now it fits as well as the slide fits to the frame. I fired 100 rounds today to test out that Ed Brown hardened slide stop (which I could rave about all day long....dropped in and when you rack the slide closed, you can "feel" the difference in quality) to make sure I had no bullet/cartridge interference and she shot like a champ.

Love this gun. Anyway, here is the profile pic.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.