1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally accepted the fact that I need to send my Kimber TLE RL2 to a quaility smith. These FTF are a pain in the ass. I have had some local work done (polishing) and I tried replacing the recoil spring with a Wilson 18.5#. Tried all types of ammo but to no avail. Yes, the FTF have minimized dramaticaly since I first got it. (2000 rounds so far) but they still occur (with other shooters as well) 1 every 50 rounds or so. Oddly, it will sometimes go 100-200 rounds with out one and then they start up and are again frequent. I have tried factory mags and Wilsons with the same results. Any ideas on who I should consider sending it to.

I continue to get these rounds stopped half in the chamber and all it takes is a slight push on the rear of the slide and it locks up. I am guessing that something in the chamber area is out of spec.

Thanks for any and all smith info.

ASO544
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Have you checked your extractor's condition/tension?

It may be a bad extractor that's causing your hang-ups.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
ASO544

Read my first post in the thread linked below. It is a reply to a situation that started out similar to yours.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61293

Also, do a search in the Kimber folder on "Gold Match" and read the threads, as your situation is very common in the Gold Match.

For a Pistolsmith recommendation Ted Yost, and Ned Christensen, seem to be very well regarded.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would echo Str8_Shot's advice regarding Ted Yost and Ned Christensen. Owning several pistols by Ted Yost and having a bunch more in his shop, I can say that Ted's work is superlative, and he is a nice guy to boot. I don't have first hand experience with Ned's work yet (am waiting for my turn) but look at his website and you can see firsthand his craftsmanship and exquisite metal work - - and Ned is a nice guy too. Chuck Rogers and Don Williams are also craftsman and good people to deal with. I think your only problem now will be choosing which one to work on your pistol.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I would add George Smith of EGW to the list too. I have had good experiencies with them and find George to be very honest in what he can do.

·
Banned
597 Posts
FWIW, Kurt of Kurt's Kustom does 1911 work, and if I recall correctly you had some AR work done by him. Just a thought, as I don't know of anyone who can vouch for his work, but I might be having him do some 1911 work for me soon.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I like George Smith of EGW and Neil Keller of Kustom Ballistics. I guess it matters whether or not you are looking for somoene local or are planning on sending the gun away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts