1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying my first house next month (YEAH!!) Have just picked up a second job and I will now be gone from 0430 up to 2300 5-6 days a week. Well this leave the wife and children home alone all that time. So talking with the wife she has decided that a firearm for her would be a great idea. She can handle by Rinco full size but we are thinking of getting her something a little more her size.

Good thing is that we have 7 Shepherds so that is always a good home alarm. Our big male (about 90-100 lbs) patrols the house at night and will be a good deterent (SP?).

We plan to go to the range and let her select a handgun that feels good in her hand and that she comfortable with. Then I started thinking wouldnt a 12 guage shottie be a better idea? I don't know I wish I could just afford both and be done with it :D

Any insight would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lupey-

Congratulations on the house! Hope you find the time to enjoy it.

My Mossberg 590 proved to be a bit much for my wife. She's much happier with the Rueger SP101. She can operate the 12 gauge, but is a little shaky, which may not be a bad thing. Certainly would make a would be attacker think twice.

Hope this helps.

-B

P.S. Seven? :eek: NICE!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let her decide, rather than all of us.

She needs to be comfortable with whatever SHE chooses. It sounds like you are on the right track by going to the range and letting her try a few different ones. I feel it is very important for us guys not to tell the fairer sex what gun/personal protection device is right for them. Good luck on the new house.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies. Just lots of knowledge here and there may be some pistols that I'm not familiar with and people here are and could steer me towards her trying. Again thanks!

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
If you want her to hit anything she needs a long gun, not a pistol (unless she's going to carry it around a holster).

Recall the Army produced the M1 Carbine in WW2 to arm cooks and clerks because training them to shoot the pistol well enough for self defense took way too much training time. I can't personally recommend the M1 Carbine for other than plinking, but there are capable semiautomatic carbines anyone can handle with minimal training.

Shotguns still need to be aimed and their recoil is such that getting of more than one shot is unlikely without lots of training. Something as simple as your AR15 M4 Carbine (doesn't everyone have one of these?), a Mini-14, or any of the AK or SKS variants make simple to use, effective house guns. My wife has several years of military service and has trouble with the riot gun sometimes on the range. Since she qualifies annually with the M9 or M11 pistols (M92FS or P228) I've no issues with her and a pistol, but she's not the typical "wife." She's also comfortable with her revolver and the Beretta M8045 which has a bit more punch than her M9.

Despite the lack of long range accuracy in the Mini-14 it's a simple rifle to operate in stressful conditions. 5.56mm M193 Ball has more potential to produce an instant incapacitation wound and is less likely to cause damage or injury after wall penetration than any pistol caliber or shotgun pelled, another consideration.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
877 Posts
Chuck S said:
Despite the lack of long range accuracy in the Mini-14 it's a simple rifle to operate in stressful conditions. 5.56mm M193 Ball has more potential to produce an instant incapacitation wound and is less likely to cause damage or injury after wall penetration than any pistol caliber or shotgun pelled, another consideration.

Hey, Chuck! Good to see you here . . .

I think a Mini-14 would also be a good choice. I don't think the accuracy issues would make much difference at home defense ranges. Plus, with the sights close to the bore, you don't have to worry about memorizing your holdovers for close quarters use.

Even your very useful IBZ can't do much about the line of sight/boreline difference with ARs at very close ranges!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See I wouldn't have thought of the 5.56 at all. Thats what I was looking for and why I posted. Again thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For serious attitude adjusting, it's hard to beat a 12 ga. pump, but I like the idea of a pistol-caliber carbine, and there a lot of good choices out there

HK USC .45acp
Beretta CX 9mm/.40/.45
Ruger and Marlin semi -autos

Heck, I wouldn't rule out a .44 mag lever action!

When teaching my honey, I found if it's FUN, she'll actually want to go shooting, if its WORK, well...you know..:p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Home defense

How 'bout a 20 ga. shotgun? Still plenty effective, I'd think, with less recoil.

Like others have said, make sure it's something SHE is comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Remington makes a short-stocked 870 for women/youth. Mine has a 20" barrel with rifle sights, and is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. It's versatile also...switch to a longer barrel and go hunting or bust clays. Load it with buckshot for home, devastating!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Under your name is says proud husband of a DAV, which, I assume is Disabled American Veteran. Her disability may be the limiting factor for what you buy. I don't know anything about the how or what, but for instance, if the disability has something like arthritis associated with it, then something that takes a lot of dexterity would be out. If it's a back problem then you might want to rule out the shotgun with a lot of recoil going into the upper body. If it's sight related you might want to rule out long guns because they may block out more of her useable field of view than a pistol. Likewise, if it causes her problems with walking or balance you might want to go with a handgun because it'd be a lot easier to hold on to if she were to lose her balance or need to put a hand out for support on a wall, etc...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd suggest just let her pick whatever she is comfortable using. With her firearms experience, it sounds like her getting an unacceptable caliber shouldn't be a problem. Maybe give her a price max and let her pick.

I retained caliber choice with my girlfriend. We went through several gun shows and shops looking to see what fit her. We are still sorting this all out. The first pick didn't work out, just a little too big.

Good luck,
Steelheart

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YammyMonkey said:
Under your name is says proud husband of a DAV, which, I assume is Disabled American Veteran. Her disability may be the limiting factor for what you buy. I don't know anything about the how or what, but for instance, if the disability has something like arthritis associated with it, then something that takes a lot of dexterity would be out. If it's a back problem then you might want to rule out the shotgun with a lot of recoil going into the upper body. If it's sight related you might want to rule out long guns because they may block out more of her useable field of view than a pistol. Likewise, if it causes her problems with walking or balance you might want to go with a handgun because it'd be a lot easier to hold on to if she were to lose her balance or need to put a hand out for support on a wall, etc...
She has detriating disk desease, botched back surgery on her L5-S1 (now they relized that they should have done surgery on the L5-L5 OPPPS) that has left her entire nerve cluster at the base of her spine encased in scare tissue, she has numerous shards of disk floating around. Lost about 25% feeling in her right leg and at last check it was about 10% paralysis (SP?) on her left leg. Not to mention when the legs just give out on her, her right leg muscles are slowly withering or the fact that her back locks up. But besides that Neurosurgery at Bethesda did a great job on her (can you tell that I am not all that pleased with the military hospitals)

Thanks for the replies again I was looking for something that I may not of thought of and you have all been great help and given me many thoughts.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
One more suggestion...

Throw this into the mix to look at:
Short, break open double barrell...20 or 12, depending on recoil sensitivity. With exposed hammers, if at all possible. I don't know who makes them now, but they are called "Coach Guns" (by Rossi years ago) and referred to as "Lupara" by Jeff Cooper and others. Shorter than a rifle or pump gun. Simple and easy to use and check for cocked/loaded condition. Only two shots unless you want to teach a reload, but how many will a person need? If you are down behind the bed waiting on the BG to enter the room, one will do it. Yes, I know about mutilple suspects, I'm talking generally.
Not THE answer, just A POSSIBLE answer.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
From what you have told us the shotguns and rifles are out. Too much recoil. My suggestion would be a revolver. a 4" smith and wesson or Ruger. It can be either .38 or .357 Load it with .38+p hydroshoks. The other choice would be a .22 Revolver loaded with CCI Velositer ammo.
She needs to be comfortable with her choice.
I would much rather see her shoot a 2'' group with her favorite .22 pistol than miss the paper completely with a Shotgun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lupey,

I won't chime in on the particular gun other than to suggest that she try and shoot various guns and find one she is comfortable with both in terms of power/recoil and in handling. One thing that I immediately thought though that may be of more importance than what gun is how to use it properly. I know she is a vet but I am not aware of the type of training she has had. I know SIG arms has an academy in NH where they will supply the guns etc for the classes. This would be a good way to get her familiar with what would be required in defending the home as well as expose her to some different guns and calibers that they provide. Just my thought on the subject. Mindset will be very important as well as some knowlege of tactics if she needs to use any gun to defend the family.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts