1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to distinguish between Rev. 4 and Rev. 5-6 rear sight from this WW2 Colt 1911A1, and curious which sight it is? The drawing in Clawson's has me questioning if it's as circular as Rev. 5-6 or more straight like Rev. 4. It seems as if though Rev 5-6 are more circular than this one, but I'm sure some sights may have some slight differences. Sorry, very oily gun :) Here are the photos:

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
IMO its a Revision 5-6.... but it also appears not to be original to the slide, as it looks like it has been replaced at some time.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
it also appears not to be original to the slide, as it looks like it has been replaced at some time.
Clearly has not followed the slide since new. Parsing the variation is moot after that...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The sight is original, but it was removed because the previous owner had put a Kings sight on in the rear. I had a gunsmith put the original back on to keep everything, well, original. I don't shoot it, so makes little difference to me, and I was happy he kept the original sights.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Sorry, but you couldn't convince many/any collectors that sight is original to that slide. Color and dimentional fit is way off. Note the exposed areas on the corners of the slide dovetail, where the corners of the sight normally would cover.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but you couldn't convince many/any collectors that sight is original to that slide. Color and dimentional fit is way off. Note the exposed areas on the corners of the slide dovetail, where the corners of the sight normally would cover.
No need to apologize and I am certainly not trying to convince anyone of anything. My question was with regard to revision type. If the sight is not original, I would prefer to know why. I have looked through Karash's photos and personally didn't see a difference, although color will be effected by my camera setting.
To clear up your suggestion, I would be happier to know the dimensions of the typical 1911a1 rear sight, so that I can compare yours to the one that I have. If any one has a micrometer, please check the width (in mm) if possible on their 1911, and I can do the same on my end. The sights should be 1943/1944 Colt. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
15.8mm (0.05mm tool error) = 0.622 inch. Not sure if the .002 inch difference is enough to consider the item not in spec or original. The 0.5mm error rate, if applied to the positive,(I use an analog caliper) would make it spot on. Looking through several of Mr. Karash's pics of the same era, I notice some also have dovetail corners showing more than others. Perhaps a 0.002/0.05mm inch difference means nothing? If we checked 50, 100 or more sights, each may be a bit off? Don't know but glad I was able to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts