1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buy a like new (50 rounds fired), in the box, stock, SS Delta Gold Cup, and I was wondering what other calibers could be used with this frame and slide.
I am interested in only easy conversions that don’t alter the DGC, i.e., only fitting a new barrel and bushing to the slide, changing recoil springs, and magazines.

Is it true that the DGC has the same ejector that is used for the 38 Super and 9mm?

If this is correct, the first that comes to mind is the 9x23 Win. From what little I have been able to find out, this is one fine cartridge. Really duplicates or exceeds the .357 Mag.

What others should I consider for making a convertible on this platform?

What would you recommend?

Would the 9x23 use the same magazine as the 38 Super? I believe the 9x19 and .40 S&W mags have a spacer in the back, and might be too short for the 9x23.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,394 Posts
The breechface dimensions of the 9 and 10 are different, but you might be able to get it to work with a little fiddling of the extractor. The .38 Super should be a closer fit. Since the ballistics of the 10 are better than either, why bother? The 9x25 Dillon (10 necked to 9) should be a straight swap, and you might have some fun with that.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You are asking for trouble if you try to run a round not compatable with the breechface. 10mm is one heck of a good cartridge and offers a lot of re loading challenges. The 9X25 dillon is your best choice for the breechface but a poor one for loading ammo. Bottlenecks are me and unless you like a lot of crushed cases and like to invent new words, stick to a caliber that uses a straight wall case. You will need to replace the junk recoil system that comes in new 10,s anyway. You have nothing to gain by doing anything, but that seems to be what the forum is all about. Making nice guns into pieces-parts junk.9X25 dies are probably about $130.00 in carbide. 10mm are about $20.00 from Lee. At least, you probably won't lose your front sight after from 5 to 500 rounds like you would a 70 Series. Instead, you will probably lose some parts out of the rear sight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts