1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GI build is coming along nicely but I am having trouble getting enough vertical engagement into my Regent slide (I know, I know). Briley pre-fit barrel, Foster frame. #3 Wilson link, hard contact between pin and barrel feet, can't push hood down. .004" short of tight lockup, so hood length not an issue. Firing pin hole perfectly centered. Channel between rear slide lugs is 062" deep, and rear barrel lug is .051" high so plenty of room there, also plenty of room between top of barrel and inside of slide (at least .030" just eyeballing). Bushing is a loose fit for now. All I get is .036" vertical lug engagement. I tried a #4 link, still hard enough contact (can't push hood down, maybe a very slight movement if I REALLY push) but still only get .038" engagement. What are my options? Would a full gunsmith barrel have higher upper lugs allowing me more vertical engagement? If not, the way I see it the only advantage of a gunsmith barrel would be more material on the feet allowing to fit say a #5 link and maintain hard contact - not ride the link. That might get enough engagement but it would cause way too many other problems - is this Turkish slide the culprit and I need a higher quality slide? Sorry for the big block of words - can't figure this paragraphing out on my keyboard ...

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
Same slide/frame combo with the dust cover rubbing?
Might be best to map the slide and frame, then compare to the GI print. I suspect the Regent slide, but it's possible that it's the Foster frame or even both parts contributing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes BBBBill, same setup. It sure came together nice smooth as silk, but the reason I suspect the slide is I have another build here with a Foster frame and REMSPORT slide that has .043" vertical engagement with a semi-drop in Storm Lake. This slide fits that frame pretty well too, so I slipped it on and left all internals intact. Engagement dropped to .035"

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edit - just for comparison the Regent slide is .150" thick at the rearmost lug, and the Remsport is .168" thick there - some of this is undoubtedly extra material on the outside of the slide, but I'm reasoning some is on the inside contributing to more engagement. I suppose the way to tell would be to measure the difference between the top of barrel and inside of slide with both setups...kind of hard for me to do.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wouldn't measuring vertical engagement with slide/barrel removed from frame help in localizing the problem (ruling out vertical tolerance stacking )?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
^^^ this would be my next check as well. Not a pro here so I am be out of line.
If it is a prefit barrel then you are probably just a tad tighter than mil spec dimension though I am not familiar with the particular barrel.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I get lots of engagement that way around .050" but that's because I'm pushing the barrel up into the slide lugs as far as it will go without the link attached to anything to inhibit upward travel. It would take a REALLY long link to allow this engagement and then LOTS of other problems...???

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! I was able to measure the vertical distance from where the frame rails start to where the slide lugs start inside the slide. The distance is .007" shorter in the other slide (Remsport) than it is in this Regent slide, which equates to .007" more lockup all other things being equal? (same barrel, link & frame under both slides). I'm pretty convinced the Regent slide is slightly out of spec or at least pushing the tolerances. Looks like I'll be looking for a different slide - just my luck I'll just have to roll with it :mad::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts