1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is way is better to speed up priming:

1. RCBS Auto Primer Feed Combo- installs on the press and uses tubes to prime.

2. RCBS Hand Priming Tool- prime cases off the press.

Also other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,

ASR

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
When I used my RC (now have a 550) I would prime off line. I found the Lee hand primer to be the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use the RCBS hand primer for all of my rifle reloads. It is a very good piece of equipment. I found that trying to prime in the Chucker a little clumberson and it did not fit my process.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I, on the other hand, have used the press-mounted RCBS priming system for a long, long time, and I can't imagine priming any other way. It works fine for me, and after this long, I can "feel" the primer into the pocket pretty accurately. The only hassle is having to change the little primer plunger - what IS that dohicky called? - when I switch from large primers to small or vice versa.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The RCBS hand priming tool is the way I do it. I tried the Lee tool but it doesn't hold up to serious use and I don't care for the "thumb only" method or a cover that falls off with little reason. The Hornady tool is a pain to change shell holders and primer sizes, plus it doesn't work as smoothly as the RCBS unit. The only negative with the RCBS tool is that the priming pin(??) will fall out if the tool is inverted.

I could see where the bench mounted unit could be OK, but I've never used it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have been using Rock Chucker master kit for about 9 years now. It came with the primer feed combo and I'm always happy how it works. I have 2 sets of the primer feed, small and large, so I don't have to change that little plunger.

For handgun rounds, it will expand the case mounth and prime in the same step. It saves time (for single press reload) as well as giving me a positive feeling during the priming.

Of course, with the hand priming tool, you can do it while watching TV. If you're not in a hurry, I'm sure it works as good.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Howdy ASR,

I kinda like the handheld tools. Choosing between Lee and RCBS is strictly a matter of preference. I have both, and I think the RCBS is the higher quality tool. Problem is, the Lee seems to fit my hand better. I guess that's because I started using the Lee unit long before RCBS made a handheld priming tool. I reckon ya pays your money and ya takes your choice. Happy shootin'.-TR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts