1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new 12ga. since I gave my Mossberg 500 to my Dad (needed to replace his aging shotgun).

I'm considering the Remington 870 Wingmaster for an all purpose shotgun (i.e. rabbits, squirrels, dove, duck etc.).

I understand they've got remarkable durability, but I'm looking at the new "Super Magnum" model in 3.5" chamber. Anybody out there that can offer comments about the magnum?

Should I just stick with the std. 3" chamber? Remington's website lists msrp at $649, what prices are you seeing at local stores? Thanks guys!

Mac

·
Registered
175 Posts
649 seems pretty high. I think around here there 350 or less. You sure you didn't look at the 11-87? 3.5" is useful for er hold on I'm still thinking, Oh now I remember black and blue shoulder. Seriously it is over kill unless your a big waterfowler. I have an 835 and it sits except for those turkey that just won't come in.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Recon:
649 seems pretty high. I think around here there 350 or less. You sure you didn't look at the 11-87? 3.5" is useful for er hold on I'm still thinking, Oh now I remember black and blue shoulder. Seriously it is over kill unless your a big waterfowler. I have an 835 and it sits except for those turkey that just won't come in.
I thought it was steep as well. I DID look at the 11-87's so it's possible that's where the number came from. $350 is definitely more in my price range.

I agree with you about the usefulness being pretty much limited to waterfowl. Since I haven't really used the steel shot I thought there might be an advantage there. Guess I could use a 3" Fed. tungsten load and get the same or similar results.

Thanks for the input,

Mac

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear Mac, The 870 is an well made, reliable, and durable gun. I'd suggest that you visit gun dealers in your area to price them. "Suggested retail prices" like you saw on Remington's site are normally much higher than the actual prices things can be bought for. I imagine that this model does cost more than the other 870s as it no doubt requires a different receiver to handle the longer shell.

As for purchasing the 3 1/2" model I'd say why not? You can still fire 2 3/4" shells for any targets and game. Plus you'll be able to use the longer ones for waterfowl and turkey. It's like using .44 Specials in a .44 Magnum revolver. When you don't need the extra kick you don't need to use it. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use 870 Express 3 incher with a factory rifled barrel. Any sabot I used is accurate on my barrel. 100 yards is no problem. 3 inch sabot at 100 yards still got a lot of punch. Shot a deer at 70 yards. The doe folds after the hit and died on he spot. Same gun I use for geese, turkey and ducks after barrel change. I use T shots on geese and If I do my part, geese is on the dinner table by supper. At home I have a shorter barrel for home defense. Its very versatile. I remember a hunting buddy with a semi auto(one of the best and expensive - he says) It was a cold hunting season that year and his semiauto jammed on the the second shot. He missed so he needs a follow up shot. Sorry but the deer was probably laughing while running away. Probably if its a pump hell get that deer. Our friend ended up borrowing one of our hunting buddies 870 and filled his tag the following day. The following week he traded his semiauto to 870 pump. 31/2 inch I think is overkill on both ends of the shotgun. I tried the 31/2 and dont like it. 3" with the proper choice of ammo for me is max for hunting. One more thing I cant hit wnat I am aiming when I used that 31/2. Its a heavier gun and I worry about recoil so my accuracy suffers. If you have friends who owns both, try them and then decide.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear Mac, The Wingmaster Super Magnum does have a msrp of $649.00 as you said in your original post. The lower grade Express model is around $369.00 msrp. If you haven't checked your email yet the one from me is in regards to the Wingmaster. Which is the model I'd purchase. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess the 3" Wingmaster may be the way to go. Might even have to get the set with the slug barrel.

Stock P14: I like the idea of the shorter home defense barrel, that's a possibility I hadn't considered. I thought about an 11-87 but as you mentioned, I prefer the reliability of a well made pump gun.

The Express model will more than likely do everything the Wingmaster will at a more affordable price, but I'm going to treat myself to a Wingmaster. It's something I've wanted since I was a kid
It's just fancy enough for me to consider it "higher end" (compared to my Mossberg) but not so expensive that good honest "character marks" will drive me nuts.

I tried an 870 and a Winchester pump (forget the mdl. #) when I bought my Mossberg a few years back. They both seemed a bit long in the stock for me when trying to quick shoulder. I might have to get a 1/2" or so shaved off but that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll let you know when I get it... might wait for the next gun show.

Thanks again,

Mac

·
Registered
92 Posts
McLean,
When I bought my 870 Express, I am not comfortable bringing the stock to my shoulder because of my average stature and shorter lenght of pull. So what I did was to determine my lenght of pull and cut the stock to the appropriate lenght. I even replaced the buttpad with an aftermarket product. Its a little thicker but softer than the factory. For home defense when I change to a shorter barrel I also install a magazine extension to increase the mag cap. Enjoy your 870.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts