1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise. I currently have a Glock 27 with a lasermax sight. I am considering trading it in and buying a new Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II. My question is seeing I already have loads of 40 cal ammo, should I buy it in a 40cal or buy the 45? What would be the advantages or dis-advantages? Your advise would be apperciated...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends on what you want it for. If you have never owned a 1911 in .45, then I would do so. There is something magic about that caliber in the right gun. If this is not your first 1911 and you like the ballistics of the .40, then go for it. If you can afford it, keep both. I have looked at the performance of both rounds and now do not own anything in .40.

Jess

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have a Glock 27, and keep it around because I like it, but get the 1911 in 45 acp.

If you have to much .40 ammo, sell it at your next shoot to finance .45 acp ammo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have no experience with that particular gun, however

1) Assuming the same expansion (or lack, thereof) from a 3" barrel, the .45 will give you a bigger hole.

2) Of course, your experience may be different, but I have found the .45 to be a less-punishing round (both to weapon and shooter) than the .40.

I was in a somewhat similar situation last year. My final decision was that the "surplus" .40 ammo was a temporary condition, and what I needed to focus on was which caliber I ultimately wanted, and base my purchase decision on that. In my case, it meant buying a .45. Then again, you probably have a whole lot more /40 ammo than I had; in that case, swapping with friends might be the best option.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thug, selling and trading is 2 different concepts. Very few people will actually try to sell their firearm to the dealer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer would only give me $400 for her. There is no way I will do it. I would have to seel her to a private owner. I've been think it over though and decided to KEEP the G27 and buy a 1911 to switch off depending on my situation...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I learned two things when I dumped my Glock.

1. Anyone who still wants one has one already.

2. You won't get anywhere near what you want for it. The market is glutted with police trade ins that the wholesalers probably got for about $125 each. If your dealer offered you $400, you better grab it!

later,
AJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts