1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good quality pistol case that is lockable (combination preferred).

This will be used totally for the airlines, checked in my luggage but small enough as to not take up alot of room. (accommodating only 1 gun, 1 mag & a small box of ammo).

The ones I have found are just too big.
There has to be someone out there that makes something smaller than a "foot locker".

All help appreciated.

· Registered
825 Posts
Many aluminum cases on the market, but the best are "Zero Haliburton". Available in many sizes, the smaller ones are great for a single handgun and accessories.....(p.s. Airlines won't permit putting ammo in the same case as the gun) Cost will run about $150-$200+.

· Registered
738 Posts
CDNN case

I picked up a single pistol case from CDNN for $24.99, #TOP001BRN, aluminum frame, foam interior, combination lock, 11.5" X 9" X 4.5", see page 115 of their current catalog. This was a closeout, on their Optima Series Brown Skin cases. Not in the same class as the cases shown above, but works for me.
Ed

· Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rembrandt;

I guess putting the ammo in the same case as the pistol depends on the Airlines you fly. I fly each week (Delta) & always pack the ammo in the same case. It just has to be in the original container.

· Premium Member
1,890 Posts
ABC3

The aluminum cases, especially those of Halliburton quality, are great. However, an aluminum or metal-sided case is not required by TSA (and I'm not aware of a single airline that requires such, either). The requirement is that they be in a locked case, secure inside checked baggage. And FWIW, my checked bag is usually a softsided large Hartmann rolling bag, with one of the TSA-approved locks on the substantial outside zipper.

When I check pistols, I use an inexpensive (less than $30), lockable polymer-sided, metal-framed case that holds two 1911s easily. I put empty magazines underneath the foam on one side, and always show that they're empty, too.

If I'm traveling to a training class, I try to either buy ammo locally once there, or have it shipped in advance. For carrying once I get where I'm going, taking an original manufacturer's box of Ranger is sufficient for me.

On my way west to a training class early this year, the Delta agent at the counter to whom i declared wanted to see the empty chambers of both my pistols. On the way back, the agent couldn't have been less interested. The guns could have been cocked and locked, each with nine rounds in them, and he'd have never known. Still, best to prepare for the most conservative airline reps and TSA people you might encounter.

Good luck!

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Aubrey said:
The case does not have to be aluminum. Aluminum is nice, but it dents/scuffs. Alternatives are the heavy-duty polymer cases such as Pelican, Starlight, etc...
+1 I just love Pellican! I had an aluminum case (Zero brand) and a Pellican on the same aircraft. They had the luggage on the side of the plane when they fired up the left wing engine (whoops) the luggage flew through the air and landed on the concrete. The Zero was in many pieces with it's contents strewn around the flightline. The Pellican was scratched and abraded but the contents were intact and comfy (though it hit the concrete hard enough to cock the 1911 inside!!)

· Premium Member
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bulldog Six;

I know the airlines does not require a metal case only a hard case that is lockable (Delta). I too have been using the plastic cases with a pad lock. The hinges keeps breaking and I just wanted something alittle nicer and still not take up alot of room in my luggage.

I ordered the smallest one I could find, on line. It should be here in a couple of days. If it's too big - I'll go back to plastic.

Have a great week-end.

Al

· Registered
825 Posts
ABC3 said:
Rembrandt;

I guess putting the ammo in the same case as the pistol depends on the Airlines you fly. I fly each week (Delta) & always pack the ammo in the same case. It just has to be in the original container.
While I don't fly Delta very often, I assumed the no ammo w/guns was a TSA policy. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
518 Posts
I travel by air frequently and check handguns in luggage. IME, the TSA currently requires separate containers for handguns and ammunition. The handgun could be packed in any hard-sided loggable case, and the ammunition, weighing up to 11 pounds, could be transported in the same suitcase holding the handgun case.

I leave the magazines in the case with the handgun but not in the pistol. The last time I flew, I left an unloaded magazine in the pistol, and the TSA screeners claimed that they could not tell whether or not the pistol was loaded. The TSA screeners would not touch the pistol to remove the magazine and would not initially let me remove the magazine. Eventually, a State Police officer instructed the screeners, albeit perhaps without any bonafide authority, to let me show them that the weapon was unloaded.

In the future, I will not leave an unloaded magazine in the pistol, even though the airline agent had seen that the pistol was unloaded.

I carry a small handgun safe with a pushbutton Simplex lock as a handgun case when I travel. It meets all the airline and TSA requirements, and I have a nice concealable safe when I am at my hotel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.