1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bushmaster M4 Carbine style AR on order right now. the XM15 E2S M4 Type Post-Ban Carbine .

The local Bushmaster rep would like instead to trade me for my Pre Ban Mini14, and some cash for a New In Box XM15 E2S Dissipator Carbine

I need advice. I am buying this AR for a defense/fun rifle.

is the Dissapator a better rifle?

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
It's all personal preference. The Dissapator is a great idea but it looks odd to me. If you like your Mini-14 I say keep it. It's easier to take into the field without attracting stares from non-gun people.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I was planning on selling the Mini to finance the AR, regardless of which I get

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Robert,

I have a Dissapator, M4 and A2 Hbar....all 16 inch barrels.

I like them all but for just a one carbine all around weapon I would take the trade on the Dissapatr and the extra cash for USGI mags, butt stock kit, CLP and ammo.

Dissapator takes advantage of the full lenth rifle sight radius.

So say is too heavy but I like the feel of the heft.

Good Luck

Karsten

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Someone bring me up to speed please. I wasn't aware of such a thing as a preban mini 14, other than the GB models (which supposedly have always been restricted) and Rugers hi-cap mags. Maybe it depends on the local laws, but I wasn't aware of the Mini 14 ever having been placed on a federal list. Please correct me if I'm off base here. Anyways, I might take the Mini trade if I were you (depending on how bad he wants it). In my area (Indiana) the Mini can be replaced for app. $500.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Preban Mini 14's are rifles made before the 94 assualt rifle ban regardless of configuration. If your Mini was made before 1994 then you can not put a folder and have that evil hi cap mag due to the fact the stock has a folding butt and a pistol grip along with the hicap that is 3 features. As any weapon made after the ban can only have two preban features. The Mini utilizes one from the factory (the ability to accept hicaps.) so you can legally add a flashhider. However you can not add a folder . but you could add a pistolgrip stock instead of the flash hider. Confusing I know but it is the law. Silly as hell also . LOL

[This message has been edited by Sharpshooter (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I depends on what he's gonna give you in trade. Dealer may hang some pre ban parts on it and really profit on your trade. First AR I'd go with Standard stock and 16" or 20" barrel.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
The only way to tell between a "pre-ban" and a "post-ban" Mini-14 is to look at the serial number. If it was made prior to Sept. '94 you can do what you want with it, aside from full-auto or short-barreled rifle conversions. But if it was made after Sept. '94 it is illegal to add any "evil" features such as a folding stock, bayonet lug, or flash hider. The law says "two or more", but remember that having a detachable magazine already qualifies as one.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts