1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemna, but a good one! Her are four options presented to me:

1. A Series 70, STI modifications on trigger, hammer and springs. Blued finish with Colt Pachmeyer grips. $650.

2. Series 80, made mid-80's , SS finish, wood grips. Still has original box and papers. It appears to have been shot, but barely. $799

3. Brand new 1991 A1, new roll mark, blued finish, walnut grips. $700

4. A series 70, blued with wood grips, unmodified in very, very good condition. $850

I'm looking for collectability as well as a decent occasional range gun. I have my home defense weapon, a Sig P226 in .40. Please keep in mind that price is an issue, especially with a wife hostile to my bringing another gun into the house :)

This will be my first 1911. Thanks for the help, guys!!!

·
Premium Member
15,681 Posts
#4, and keep it original.

ETA, I assume it's an original MK IV Series 70, not one of the Colt 're-issues'. You can tell by the serial number.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response...and yes, it is a Mark IV Series 70. This is from a very reputable dealer here in Dallas that deals with antique firearms; they know what they're doing. Unfortunately, their prices usually reflect that!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Thanks for the quick response...and yes, it is a Mark IV Series 70. This is from a very reputable dealer here in Dallas that deals with antique firearms; they know what they're doing. Unfortunately, their prices usually reflect that!
A similar shop here in Phoenix has a NIB S70 (original) for $1100. I think it is truly brand new, and never fired. The box by itself is worth about $125 based on Gunbroker listings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
#4 no question. Great gun as is and the most attractive for future work IMHO.

If you're looking for an original series 70, $850 is a fair price for a good example. But they are everywhere so don't be pulled into the thought process that you have to have this one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
#1 and #4 is what I would try and do, Get one for the wife!
One to shoot, and one to look at///////for now
If you get the really nice 70, will you shoot it?:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since you will be bringing one home, the wife issue will be the same no matter which one. I just did this as I brought home 3 for the (wife grief) price of 1. So...that being even, the question is which has the most value for the price...and to me that is #4.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys!!! Since it was virtually unanimous on number 4, the all-original early issue Series 70, that's what I got. I think I got a great deal at $825. According to a local afficianado, even the magazine is original. I love it! I'll post pics sometime soon....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts