1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm new to this forum and could use your input. I would like to buy a Colt 38 Super (model #02570E) and need a little friendly advice and encouragement.

Is this gun based on the 70 series?

How does it compare in recoil to a .45 ACP?

I currently shoot a Kimber Eclipse Custom II. Do you think that I can expect to get similar accuracy with the full-size .38 Super?

I am leaning towards the blue finish since it's going to be a range gun. If the blueing wears and I'm not happy with it, I figure that I can always have it refinished in hard-chromed.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is a series 80 enhanced gun. Do you have one within your sights? I found it kinda hard to come by when I was looking for mine.
I don't think the recoil is any worse than my 45. As far as accuracy to a Kimber I couldn't honestly tell you I only have Colts.
My oldest is holding mine in the family pic just posted this Christmas. Did you see the pic?
dirtyharry:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DirtyHarry,
Thanks for the reply. Happy holidays to you and your family!!!

I've only just started considering a .38 Super. I called my local friendly FFL and he mentioned he had 3 in stock -- a Colt, a SA, and something else. I didn't follow up since I was looking for a Kimber HD II in .38 super at that moment. Now that I've had some time to do some research on the Internet, I've decided to try a Colt.

I'm concerned with the relative lack of availability of .38 super FMJ. I shoot almost every week. And going through 300 rounds of .45 ACP each time is getting expensive (even with Winchester White box ammo). I know, I should reload. But I'm uneasy with my ability not to do do something stupid like double load a round.

Anyway, I'm confused. I think I'll go to the gun shop and fondle some Colts and other 1911s. The owner is a 1911 guy so I can pick his brain for a while.

Take care and happy shooting.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
techwizard, my opinion these are great pistols.
There are several guys here that are really into Super and can provide more detail, I just started liking this round.

If you search here there is a thread recently "show me your supers" that has a lot of pictures. A couple months ago I bought a stainless version 02070E. It can shoot a lot better than I can.
I liked it so much I just bought a blue one 02570E and I am having a Super Commander built. These are are all flat top enhanced Colts. There are occasionally pre-enhanced model 02570 (no "E") round top models for sale (I think I just saw one on Gunbroker?) and Colt is apparently considering releasing the NRM 1991 in 38 super, which would be great!!).

I mostly shoot 9x23 out of mine with a 9x23 barrel, but my opinion is that 38S recoil is less than 45acp and at least for me either 38S or 9x23 the front sight is back on target a lot quicker.
I buy my ammo mailorder from a couple places and usually pay $9.67 - $10.69 a box of 50 for 38S or 9x23. Even with shipping that is much cheaper than California $16.95 plus tax. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stealthgoat,
Thanks for your reply.

I can get the Win. White box (100) for $20. So I really wouldn't be saving any money for my range sessions.

I think I'm going to get a full-size blue NRM 1991 in .45 ACP since they are so reasonably priced. Hopefully Colt will release the 1991 in .38 Super SOON. I can then have a reliable, easy-to-carry, CCW gun with plenty of punch and 2-3 extra rounds.

I have beautiful Brommeland MaxCon and DefCon holsters just waiting for my new Colts to come home. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got one of the "flat tops" and it is my favorite. I've got 11 1911's and the 38Super is my first choice as a shooter. 38Super is a little bit "snappy" but not a problem. Oh, you can find some great deals on Amscor 38Super.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taildragger,
Does your 38 Super have any play in the slide? Both the SS and Blue model at the shop have a little. Neither rattle when you shake them but they are not as tight as many of the Kimbers I've handled.

How would you rate your 38s accuracy in comparison to your other 1911s?

What do you think of Armscor ammo? Do you know what FPS it's rated at? Kyimports has it for $109.95 per case (1000). Have you done business with them before? Who do buy your 38 Super ammo from?

BTW, I can get a NIB blue 38 Super from my dealer for $689. I think that's a smoking deal. Additionally, I won't have to pay sales tax since I had a trade-in that he sold already for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The .38 Super is a great round and is a lot of fun to shoot. I find recoil is more of a "snap" than the .45, but certainly not too bad. Accuracy varies but the Super is capable of very good accuracy.

I don't know where you live, but if is anywhere in the USA ammo shouldn't be a problem (mail-order and the Internet may be the best option).

If you're interested and unsure I say "GO FOR IT". The cartridge has been around for a long time and there is a very good reason

for that.

Good Shooting

CCV

·
Registered
190 Posts
The fit and feel is better than my Kimber Team Match II (also 38Super). Both are more accurate than me. I enjoy bouncing cans around on the backstop of our pistol range, approximately 65 yards !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taildragger,
That's some very fine shootin'!!!

I dropped by my local friendly dealer and handled some of their 1911s. The Colt Enhanced 38 Super's frame had a little too much movement from side to side for my tastes. However, I liked the blue finish and flat top. It looks very modern yet classic. I also liked the NRM 1991 in 45 ACP. It's finish was quite nice and it was tighter than the 38 Super. The owner is going to try to find one for me but in 38 Super.

However, I didn't like the 1991's grip safety or hammer. I prefer one that is upswept and allows a higher grip ala the Ed Brown. In addition, I may want to change out the sights and MSH. But, I'll take it to the range to test drive before committing any changes.

If all goes well with this one and Colt releases a Commander version in 38 Super, I'll get one of those as well.

Thanks to all for your feedback. I enjoy this forum VERY much!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts