1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Hi Standard, 9mm. I'm thoroughly impressed with the finish, fit and especially the accuracy. But like most everyone else, I think the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. It has a nice clean break but the the pressure required is bad news. I have removed the mag safety and find that to be helpful. I've been all through the search function and have seen that many mentions of using a 26 or 28 lb. hammer spring and can see where that would help as well. I've never seen one this stiff before. The question I have is whether there is a "down side" to a lighter spring. The first thing I thought of was increased slide speed and battering on the frame. Is this worth worrying about?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. If you plan to shoot primarily standard pressure loads, I believe that you can use the reduced power mainspring. If you want the lighter mainspring but intended to use heavier loads a fair portion of the time, I'd go with a conventional 18.5-lb recoil spring rather than the factory standard 17-lb.

Best.

·
Banned
975 Posts
dont go with less than a 26 or 28# hammer spring. less equals unreliable ignition. after trying every spring, ive come to prefer the 28# for my pistols.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hammer Spring

I'll not repeat what's already written in this thread:

http://handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=smithing&action=display&thread=1195504144

But be aware, there is the hammer spring, the firing pin spring, and the surface angles that all come into play to make your trigger weight work reliably.

After performing the mods in the thread, I installed a recoil buffer and judging from the way it looked after a couple of sessions, it's saved the frame and slide some pounding. Fitting required.

Good Luck!

MR2

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had good luck getting a 5lb trigger pull with a 32lb hammer spring by tweaking the sear spring. The force required to trip the sear has alot to do with the sear spring. The main issue with adjusting the sear spring is if you go too light you will get 'hammer drop'. It seems if you stay above a 4lb pull you should not have issues (giving the sear angle is good).

Just take the sear spring out and slighlty bend it back. If you go too far it can be bent the other direction. It doesn't take much to go from a 8lb pull to a 5lb pull.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the help. After disconnecting the mag safety, putting in a 26 lb. hammer spring along with a slight tweak to the sear spring, I have a much more acceptable trigger. I don't have a trigger pull measure but it's worlds better than it was. A much more shootable gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts