1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok not burn exactly but my friend just got done with TBS and is a freshly minted 2nd Lt USMC and he wants a very nice semi-custom 1911.

He's kinda tacticool just being honest. Up until now he's only had polymer handguns him with a glock 23 is amazing, he shoots great for what it is. Very fast and accurate for a non IPSC shooter.

He was looking at the SA TRP pistol. I don't know enough about them but after the out of the box thread SA makes me nervous http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252140

and with that in mind I would never tell a friend to get a Kimber those are off the table.

Only things I would suggest 4.25 possibly prefer 5" beavertail and 4.5 lbs or less (would appreciate your opinion on ideal weights for a new to 1911 guy, I think at OIC he got to shoot a MEU which caused this bug that will never go away for him)

So yeah what would you tell me to get him to go look at? for no more than 1400 at the very extreme end.

I would love to see him get a really nice 1911. And I'm the gun guy around here and honestly 1911s are the thing I don't know enough about to be extremely useful. He's kinda in that sweetspot where not quite enough to get a ed brown/Dan wesson but more than he needs to get a great shooter.

I am very interested in baer, wessons, colts if he can afford it or STIs. But would need model recommendations and so on.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
and with that in mind I would never tell a friend to get a Kimber those are off the table.
To bad since there are some great Kimbers out there.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Will the Corps let him carry it?
If so, I'd stay close to Mil-Spec in barrel and recoil system and 5". But I get good low mount tritium sights and probably a beavertail. Steel or stainless, combat finish.
Hope they let him carry it, he'll be spoiled and won't like the M92 9 mm.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Really................ I know a similar story about friends and the Corps... but most have heard it:biglaugh::biglaugh: Simper Fi! Cheers.. Ron

PS: If you can learn to live with sand in your shorts, then you can live with sand in your trigger:confused:

PS: GI = "Grit Inside"... hahahahaha

To bad since there are some great Kimbers out there.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I think the best possible choice for the kind of money you are talking about is a "used" upper end gun like a Les Baer, or Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. You can definitely pick up a Baer for $1400 used, but an Ed Brown will be a little more. My personal preference goes to the Ed Brown.

There is nothing wrong with a Springfield TRP in my opinion other than the checkering on the grips is too aggressive which can make the gun unpleasant to shoot a lot at one time, unless you're wearing a glove.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Something that would be helpful to know is what your friend will be using this new 1911 for and when.

Just exactly what are his thoughts?

Don't know what the rules are for Marine officers on active duty...can he take the 1911 with him if he's deployed overseas? If so, is he allowed to carry it?

Will it be just a range gun?

Will he use it only when he's home on leave?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used les baer, a Dan Wesson, get a used Colt and have a good pistolsmith do some work to it... all options.
guys you can't carry a 1911 on duty unless its an issued MEU. No he's a reserve officer, he went that route cause he wasn't sure if he'd want to stay in. Now he's trying to go active but they won't let him. he's getting deployed in 3 months or so, but then he'll be back. Only time he'd carry is for his regular job. Otherwise he gets an M4/203/m9 combo.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Ok not burn exactly but my friend just got done with TBS and is a freshly minted 2nd Lt USMC and he wants a very nice semi-custom 1911.

He's kinda tacticool just being honest. Up until now he's only had polymer handguns him with a glock 23 is amazing, he shoots great for what it is. Very fast and accurate for a non IPSC shooter.

He was looking at the SA TRP pistol. I don't know enough about them but after the out of the box thread SA makes me nervous http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252140

Only things I would suggest 4.25 possibly prefer 5" beavertail and 4.5 lbs or less (would appreciate your opinion on ideal weights for a new to 1911 guy, I think at OIC he got to shoot a MEU which caused this bug that will never go away for him)

So yeah what would you tell me to get him to go look at? for no more than 1400 at the very extreme end.

I would love to see him get a really nice 1911. And I'm the gun guy around here and honestly 1911s are the thing I don't know enough about to be extremely useful. He's kinda in that sweetspot where not quite enough to get a ed brown/Dan wesson but more than he needs to get a great shooter.

I am very interested in baer, wessons, colts if he can afford it or STIs. But would need model recommendations and so on.
IMHO, the TRP is an excellent gun. So is the DW Valor I have on loan. I'm very impressed with it. Its no better than the TRP, plus SA has the Custom Shop for future mods.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
1200 bucks + mil discount will get him a Fusion built to his liking (so long as he doesn't go crazy with add-ons).

·
Registered
276 Posts
1200 bucks + mil discount will get him a Fusion built to his liking (so long as he doesn't go crazy with add-ons).
+ 1 for the Fusion build, but what ever you do, don't drink the DW Koolaid:)
First choice would be a Fusion, second would be a SA TRP, but keep in mind the TRP has some aggressive front strap checkering.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My suggestion would be for him to head on over to Nutmegsports.com and then call Jim Alaimo. He'll need to save some more money, but, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well wasn't aware Fusion offered military discounts, just e-mailed them about the cost for a 5" pistol kit finished with the ejector and plunger tube attached (I'd also use their trigger kit unless someone can offer me a more viable alternative, after the frame at 80 bucks its hard to beat)

Its either that or a sig/STI/used baer getting the list shrunk down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts