1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to choose between the 92FS elite or 92FS brigadier.

Any in the forum have an opinion on the matter?

Also, does anyone know if the brig also has a padded mag, like the elite?

this is for home safety...am I going for too much here, or would the standard 92FS be just fine?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I now have an Elite II and I did have a 92G, not a Brigadier. I love my Elite, but it is mostly a range gun. It is relatively accurate and I like its looks. But, I prefer to carry a 1911. I do not know the difference in price, but I would probably go with the Elite, just because I like mine.

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
I'd just go with the standard 92FS, personally. I'd also look out for a good used one made prior to the introduction of plastic triggers and safety levers.

BTW you clicked on "send" and produced three duplicate threads. The forum software tends to hang when you submit a post, so please just be patient and let the little gerbils turn the wheel. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
kurtis maximus said:
trying to choose between the 92FS elite or 92FS brigadier.

Any in the forum have an opinion on the matter?

Also, does anyone know if the brig also has a padded mag, like the elite?

this is for home safety...am I going for too much here, or would the standard 92FS be just fine?

Thanks for the replies.
For your information, there is no such thing as the FS Elite. The FS designation is for the pistols with the lever that act as a decocker AND safety i.e. you flick the slide mounted lever down and the gun decocks and the lever stays down in the safe mode deactivating the trigger from cocking the hammer.

The original Elite, recognized by the stainless barrel and matte black finish, has a thicker slide (taken from the Brigadier). The Elite is a G model, G means the lever on the slide acts as a decocker only. It springs back up and leaves the gun to fire by trigger cocking (double action) the first shot, all subsequent shots are single action. The Elite is no longer in production.

The Elite 2, replaced the Elite. It has a stainless Brigadier slide and matte black frame. It's also a G model and has a D hammer spring. D hammer spring is lighter than other 92 hammer springs, it is the spring used in the 92D double action only pistol.

There's also the Elite 1A, basically a Brigadier slide with a Vertec frame (light rail).

The 92 Brigadier, I believe was only available in the FS configuration for the civillian market.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm not a Beretta fan, so for my own enlightenment I went to Beretta's website to find out what a Brigadier is. Apparently a Brigadier is a 92FS with a slightly heavier slide.
Total weight 92FS: 34.4 oz. 92FS Brigadier: 35.3 oz.
The Brigadier has rubber grips, and the 92FS uses plastic.
MSRP: 92FS- $715, 92FS Bigadier- $795
For fun here's pics.

92FS

92 FS Brigadier

$80 for rubber grips and 0.9oz of steel added to the slide?
I guess it might be worth it, as it looks as if that extra steel is where the locking wedge locks into the slide. If that extra steel makes for a more durable slide, I guess it could be worth an extra $80?
However, when was the last time anyone has heard of a slide cracking on a 92FS?

Also found whats called a 92G ELITE IA.
35.3oz at $875 MSRP.

Only descrition I could find was for the Elite II.
Form the Beretta website:
92G Elite II
The new Elite II pistols feature the recontoured slide of the Brigadier model. The slide is stainless steel and boasts removable front sight and Novak type rear sight. The stainless steel barrel is slightly shorter 4.7” (119 mm) for compactness.
The pistol’s grip is grooved to enhance control during firing, the beveled magazine well facilitates rapid reloading, front and rear slide serrations provide a sure grip for fast, easy racking of the slide, the skelotonized hammer reduces lock time and the rubber magazine pad protects the magazine if it is dropped.
Beretta Elite II models are available only in the G configuration (when the lever is released after having been activated to lower the hammer, it automatically returns to the ready-to-fire position).

I guess if the 'Elite' has the features you desire (VERTEC grip, Brigadier slide, etc, then go for it. Don't forget that there is nearly $200 difference in MSRP.
Looks kind of 'busy' to me.

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
The Brigadier is simply Beretta's answer to those who are afraid the original slides are still prone to breaking in half. That little issue was supposedly fixed, but some still aren't convinced thus the reason for the reinforced slide on the Brigadier.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have owned and used both. IMO, the Brig slide is totally unnecessary in a 9mm gun. It makes the gun feel top heavy, and it feels like it tracks and cycles slower. The only advantage is the dovetail front sight.

After much experimenting with Berettas, I found that a hybrid gun is my favorite. I just took a Vertec slide and put it on a 92 FS frame. Now I have a gun that has the lighter slide of the 92 FS, but with a dovetail front sight. Another advantage to this combination is that the Vertec barrel is not chrome lined, and the one I have is much more accurate than any of my chrome-lined 92 barrels. The barrel that came in my Brigadier is one of the most inaccurate barrels I've ever seen. I replaced it with the barrel from and Elite II, and the gun shot much better.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
If you are looking for a purely home defense gun and not a piece for your collection I'd go with 92FS and be done with it it is a very reliable gun I put many of thousands of rounds through mine without one hiccup it is relatively accurate and very easy to take down and put back together. Although if I can make a suggestion if I was you I'd go for CZ P01 or one of the CZ 75 series if you are looking for a full size gun. You can save $100+ on a purchase and get a gun that more accurate and just as reliable as M9 and on top of all that, at least subjectively, CZ's have more consistent and predictable trigger pull in SA then M9:).

·
Registered
94 Posts
dsk said:
I'd just go with the standard 92FS, personally. I'd also look out for a good used one made prior to the introduction of plastic triggers and safety levers.

They are putting plastic triggers and safeties on them now???? That is terrible....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Don't forget guide rods as well.

Another difference in the Brigs from the regular 92 is that both the front and rear sights are dovetailed in so you don't have to do any machining to replace the sights.

The Elite II also has the D Spring from the DAO 92 for an improved and lighter DA pull.

Though +1 on buying a CZ and spend the savings on ammo and grips. I think my next gun is either an SP-01 or a 75 SA.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Have never shot the Beretta but I own a CZ 85. The gun is totally reliable, easy to assemble/disassemble and for the price difference mentioned down your way makes the decision easy. The advantage of the CZ85 over the CZ75 are the dual controls both ambi safety and slide release. Trigger pull is smooth as silk in S/A mode. Seldom find myself shooting the gun witht the first shot D/A so the latter trigger pull is moot.

Berettas are good guns I am sure but the CZ's are really quite good as well. I know I will throw a wrench in this but overall I still prefer my Hi-Powers for the 9mm.

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
.45ShooterInTN said:
They are putting plastic triggers and safeties on them now???? That is terrible....
The trigger, safety lever, mainspring cap, and guide rod are all plastic now. I also don't care for the ugly angled dust cover either. I have heard that the slide stop and other metal parts are MIM as well now. I think you can blame Glock for all the crappy plastic and MIM parts being used these days on pistols. Unless you can keep costs down and increase profit there's no way to compete.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
have a 92G Elite IA and 92FS....both bought used and both good shooters although both of my Springer 1911 9mm's will actually outshoot them at the drop of a hat.

i am well pleased with both the beretta's and use them as range guns for some good old 9mm COM shooting. i replaced the guide rods in each with metal and had quick trigger jobs to get them where i like my range guns.

both the guns you mentioned should do fine but i had to get used to the trigger on the beretta's before rounds started going basically where i wanted them to go.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dsk said:

BTW you clicked on "send" and produced three duplicate threads. The forum software tends to hang when you submit a post, so please just be patient and let the little gerbils turn the wheel. Thanks!

How do I find out when the intro to plastic triggs and safetys came about?

and thanks for all the info gentlemen, sorry to have sent the same query 3 times over.... newby here.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The extra weight of the Brig slide is probably a boon for shooting, and my Elite 2 was a great range gun. However, it is rather massive for everyday carry, not just big, but thick. The Elite II also has an undercut where the web of your hand rides, which gives you a better purchase on the trigger. It's slight, but makes a difference. The Elite also comes with a nice trigger right out of the box, and is overall a nicely finished, impressive package.

Berettas are notoriously reliable feeders, and feel good to most with average to large hands. In the end, I just got tired of lugging it around, and of the excessively long trigger stroke.

·
Registered
458 Posts
For home defense, I'd recommend the Elite II. As it only has a decocker. That way, you'll know it's always ready to fire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts