1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have decided to make thw switch to the 1911 for a duty wepon. I am a cop in a small semi rural city in Oklahoma, and the choice of duty weapons is wide open.

I have narrowed my choices down to three. The Smith and Wesson Blued Standard SW1911, the Kimber Custom 2 Blued, and the Springfield Park'd Loaded.

I am fairly new to 1911s, and I really dont know what is the cats meow right noe. I know the Smith is pretty well regarded, and the Kimber has its share of bad press. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well I will step out of the box here and suggest something different than what you are asking about.

To me I would spend a little extra and get a semi-custom for just a little more money.

I am going to recommend Rock River Arms for a duty gun. Here they are.

Elite Commando ~

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=PS2200&storeid=1&image=pec.gif

Basic Carry ~

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=PS2700&storeid=1&image=pbc.gif

At least check them out and do the homework you get way more for your money, but if money is a problem I would go with the Smith 1911.

CG.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have considered that route, and have actually spoke to the guys at Nowlin here in OK.

Money is the issue. I make a pittance, and have to supply all of my gear...all of it save the unifrom itself. We recently unionized, so hopefully this will change. In the event it does, a semi-custom gun will definitely be in the works.

·
Banned
922 Posts
Keep using whatever gun you're already carrying until you can save enough money for either a semi-custom or a top-of-the-line factory model such as the Springfield Pro, which is the same gun the FBI Hostage Response Teams are carrying. (Actually, the Pros are built in Springfield's Custom Shop, so they're basically a semi-custom, too.) Your life may depend upon that gun someday. Don't scrimp. Wait longer and save your pennies.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't really see a problem with any of the production 1911s that you have selected above.
Personally, I'd rather have a Baer, Wilson, or Ed Brown, but like you, being able to drop $2000 on a pistol is not a realistic possibility. There is no doubt that the quality of the more expensive semi-customs is superior to that of the production guns. Maybe with the help of a tax return?

(For comparison: Rock River Basic Carry- $1500, Baer Custom Carry- $1800 or so, Wilson CQB- $1985, Ed Brown Executive Elite- $2195 ......
Kimber C. II- less than $700, S&W 1911 Blued- Less than $750, Springfield Loaded Blued- on Gunbroker for (currently) $610 NIB, Parkerized MSRP $845..... Of course prices in your local area may vary. )

I have had success and failure with Kimber. I think you will find that most of the advice you will get will be Chevy vs. Ford type advice. The best I can give you is to handle each of these pistols and determine which appeals to you the most.
Customer service is another factor. Check out the S&W, Kimber, and Springfield forums and see what people are saying. Just remember that people are more likely to complain than praise.
Regardless of your choice make sure you run enough rounds through the gun to ensure it's not going to choke. Kimber says 500 rounds, and that sound good to me. Use quality magazines, and if it wont run after the 'break-in' period use the customer service number.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have you given any consideration to if you would need a light rail on your weapon? If you think a light rail would be beneficial, you might consider the Kimber Warrior. There isn't any series II firing pin block or external extractor that has caused some of the bad press you may have read about.

·
Registered
586 Posts
TLE said:
Have you given any consideration to if you would need a light rail on your weapon? If you think a light rail would be beneficial, you might consider the Kimber Warrior. There isn't any series II firing pin block or external extractor that has caused some of the bad press you may have read about.
I like the Warrior and am considering purchasing one, but I keep hearing about the Metal Injection Molding (MIM) parts breaking... slide stops, safeties, etc. Is this an epidemic or a few isolated cases?

As for a carry/duty weapon of the 1911 variety... I have to recommend the Springfield Armory Operator or TRP, or any of the Para-Ordnance line, but especially this LDA with a light rail. The more I think about it, the more I think all handguns (pistols anyway) should have built in picattiny rails. :)

I held an MC Operator in a local shop the other day and almost bought it right then. It was a significant emotional event. ;)

·
Administrator
79,293 Posts
I recommend the Smith & Wesson. They seem to be keeping their quality control up, which is something I definitely cannot say about Kimber. Springfield's QC is much like Colt's, it comes and goes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not a fan of the light rail.

If I need a light, I have a light, if I need a gun, I have a gun. I have never had the opprutunity to need my gun an d my light attached. I do not serve many warrants, nor do I do many felony stops.

Besides, I simply dont like the look of the 1911 with the rail.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am not a fan of the light rail.
Also consider the cost of a gun with vs. without a light rail.
A Kimber C. II is $650 locally. TLE RL/II runs $899. A Warrior is $999 at my local shop.
No doubt that the Warrior is a nice pistol, but.... aside from the rails, is it $300-$350 'nicer' than a Springfield loaded, or Smith 1911?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Take a look at the S&W1911Sc!

Mine is the Commander Model with a 4.25" barrel and weighs in at 27 ounces empty. This makes it an absolutely ideal carry weapon. The lighter pistol is just more pleasant to carry over long periods of time - which I think is what most cops experience.

Mine has somewhat over 1000 rounds through it with nary a problem. Even though the pistol is lighter than standard 1911's recoil is just not a problem.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to have an SC, but the cash just isnt there. I am looking at this as my First serious 1911 purchase. I owned a Rock Island years ago, and the allure ofthe 1911 has been with me ever since.

Hopefully, if the 1911 suits me as I think it will, I will be upgrading to a semi-custom such as a Nowlin or Rock River. I think the steel SW1911 will suit me in the mean time.

·
Registered
735 Posts
liliysdad,

How much exactly are you looking to spend? my FFL has the SW1911SC for $773.95 the SW1911 SS FS 5" is $709.95 that is a great looking gun by the way. Not sure you will find a quality 1911 for less than that.

CG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.