1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a new Bobtail Dan Wesson a month ago.

-Brought home/lubed and put 500 rounds through. Field stripped it and the barrel was peened at spots and the upper slide was quite heavilly scuffed.

Gun had multiple FTF's and many times when the mag emptied the slide did not stay open. Used mostly Winchester White Box 230 gr ball ammo. Switched between my Wilson/Mc Cormick and the Metalforms it came with. Wilson did not work well...Metalforms were a bit better...Mc Cormick was better still.. but still many FTF's. Gun at this point would not feed casings. Gun also fired about 3" high and 4" to the left at 50 ft.

-DW quickly sent me a Fed Ex label and off it went (back in a week!)

They did the follwing work on it:
-Replaced barrel link
-Tuned extractor
-.180 front sight
-Adjusted rear sight
-Tested on ransom rest and it shot 1" groups consistantly.
-Throated barrel
-Polished feed ramp

They had no FTF's at DW using S&B...not sure how many they fired.

Got the gun back...

1st day at the range it feed 50 MagTech 230 gr ball ammo no problems. Gun is now a bullseye gun...amazed at accuracy.

2nd at the range nothing but FTF's with Whitebox 230 gr ball along with Remington ball and Blazer ball. Tried all my mags (Metalform/Mc Cormick and the Wison. Also had a "hangfire". Frustrated

Gun has had over 1,000 rounds through it and is not reliable (yet). I am a patient man.

Please help me try to figure this out...I do want it to feed any kind of ball ammo...HP's too. Not too much to expect i think from a new $ 1,100 gun.

The gun will feed and eject used casings flawlessly. It does not make sense to me. Will feed dinged up casings but not factory ball ammo?

Lube gun only with oil as DW told me no grease. I used Triflow with PTFE. They said to get some FP-10. On order.

Help! :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Call Keith at DW and speak with him about the problem. He will take care of you. My CBOB would not feed 230gr HP's. Had to tweak the extractor just a hair. I use strictly 200 grain Federal Premium for carry ammo and never had a problem. The 230 WWB was never a problem, just the 230gr. HP's. Good Luck.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Call Keith at DW and speak with him about the problem. He will take care of you. My CBOB would not feed 230gr HP's. Had to tweak the extractor just a hair. I use strictly 200 grain Federal Premium for carry ammo and never had a problem. The 230 WWB was never a problem, just the 230gr. HP's. Good Luck.
:)
Keith and I are on a first name basis now...wonderful man. Does good work...not sure why all the problems. He did all the work on it when I sent it in (including extractor tuning) as noted in my post above.

...I am new to 1911's to a degree...how would further tuning the extractor relate to a "feeding problem"?

WWB ought to fly through it now as it feeds spent casings.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I am new to 1911's to a degree...how would further tuning the extractor relate to a "feeding problem"?
Extractor tension can definitely cause feed problems. Too much tension, and the round's rim either won't slip under the extractor when feeding, or won't release cleanly when ejecting. Too little tension, and it may not extract properly.

FWIW, most DW's run like tops. Not sure why you're having so many problems, but Keith will take care of you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts