1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a browning hi power with a 1976 SN (76C2xxxx), but it has adjustable sights and seems to be a 1977 model. I have read that some 1976 SN rolled over into 77, but I was about to post on GB and I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight.. Anyone able to shed some light?
Metal Iron Still life photography Mesh Rectangle
Finger Thumb Still life photography
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Line

·
Registered
969 Posts
What is it about your pistol that makes you think it is a '77?
There are seldom clear cut answers about dating High Powers.
I'd say it's a 1976 - because it says it is.

If you can point to "I have read that some 1976 SN rolled over into 77", please do. Supposedly the C designation was changed in 1975 to the new serial number system. There was little difference in the pistols during these years.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
660 Posts
One of my HP’s is a 76C, I accepted that as proof date not that it matters to me. Mine has a round hammer made after they went to the spur hammer, guess there was a round one in the bin.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A '..76Cxxxxx..' serial number makes it a 1976 production pistol. When that pistol left the factory and was delivered to a buyer (contract, wholesaler, retailer, etc). doesn't matter. So, listing it for sale as a 1976 'C' series Hi Power is perfectly acceptable.

P.S...if I were listing it for an online auction site, I'd make sure that I described is as a '..C-series..'. It MIGHT (??) add to it's resale value at auction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is it about your pistol that makes you think it is a '77?
There are seldom clear cut answers about dating High Powers.
I'd say it's a 1976 - because it says it is.

If you can point to "I have read that some 1976 SN rolled over into 77", please do. Supposedly the C designation was changed in 1975 to the new serial number system. There was little difference in the pistols during these years.

Cheers,

Tim
Thanks for the reply, I have yet to see a '76 with adjustable sights like this one.. That is not to say there isnt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.