1911Forum banner

Need help determining the year of this Sistema (FMAP) Colt 1911

1166 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  drail
I recently purchased this 1911 and have researched what I could online to determine the year of this gun. I keep getting different answers so I am opening it up to the 1911 pros. The serial reads A 80564 with matching numbers besides the barrel reads 45 acp. On the right side, is stamped C.F.S. The left side is stamped D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.). The grip and trigger are not original. What really caught my eye with this piece was the engravings, I have yet to seen an engraved Sistema during my research. Thank you.

Wood Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel
Brown Wood Tints and shades Bag Rectangle

Automotive tire Wood Tread Font Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire
Tire Cylinder Automotive tire Wood Font
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
# 80564 is 1954 production. The "A" appears to have been applied after the fact.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
# 80564 is 1954 production. The "A" appears to have been applied after the fact.
This was the most common answer amongst my findings. I was unsure after reading a couple of threads that stated only two shipments were sent to CFS in 1954. First shipment of 100 was serial numbers A80724 to A80823. Second shipment of 100 was A81051 to A81150. Have'nt seen anything with a CFS stamp with that early of serial number.

· Registered
852 Posts
I have the booklet "MILITARY PISTOLS OF ARGENTINA" published by Alex Gherovici and if there's a better reference for the 1927 Argentine pistols, I'm unaware of it. Mr. Gherovici is only able to specifically date one serial number range to a specific year and that is serial numbers in the range of 76000 were manufactured in 1952. Thus it's quite possible that yours was made in 1953. He also identifies your specific slide markings as possibly having been made for commercial sales as there is no markings indicating for which organization it was destined to serve; e.g., "Ejercito Argentino", "Policia Federal", "P. N. M." etc.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the booklet "MILITARY PISTOLS OF ARGENTINA" published by Alex Gherovici and if there's a better reference for the 1927 Argentine pistols, I'm unaware of it. Mr. Gherovici is only able to specifically date one serial number range to a specific year and that is serial numbers in the range of 76000 were manufactured in 1952. Thus it's quite possible that yours was made in 1953. He also identifies your specific slide markings as possibly having been made for commercial sales as there is no markings indicating for which organization it was destined to serve; e.g., "Ejercito Argentino", "Policia Federal", "P. N. M." etc.
Wouldn't the organization it was destined to serve be the CFS (Consejo Federal de Seguridad)? Which translates to Federal Council for/of Security.

· Registered
852 Posts
Wouldn't the organization it was destined to serve be the CFS (Consejo Federal de Seguridad)? Which translates to Federal Council for/of Security.
You are correct and I did, in fact, edit my post but for some reason it didn't take. According to Gherovici, C.F.S. translates to "Federal Council of Security". The first 1927 I purchased was marked "P.N.M." for National Maritime Police (Coast Guard) and the .22LR conversion model I later bought is marked for the Buenos Aires police. I also have one that is as close to new as you're likely to find. It shows no signs of ever having been fired. All numbers, including the magazine, match.

Grey Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

· Registered
852 Posts
Beautiful pistol. That is one of the nicest examples I have seen. What do you think the reddish coloring on the trigger is?
The purplish red color is usually caused by the type of steel used, the heat treatment involved and sometimes the strength of the bluing solution. It's fairly common on Mauser made Lugers on extractors and ejectors in particular.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.