1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Recently bought the Wilson Combat EDCX9 S and I cannot say enough good things about it. However, let’s just be honest. It’s a sub-compact 1911 and that presents its own challenges (especially for a lefty). While they hit it out of the park on this (and I mean a Grand Slam), they have not developed very many accessories or given much aftermarket support for the gun. I can’t find good holsters unless I have them custom made. I can’t find any weapon lights, and when I ordered my handgun to be made with Wilson’s “True Zero,” optics-ready system, the reply I received from Wilson was “Are you sure? It’s a really small gun.” I opted out of it.

Long story short, I would be super grateful if fellow owners (or knowledgeable savvy folks) could point me in the direction of a weapon light that would actually work with it. I’m driving myself crazy here.

While I have you guys here, can we chat for a second or two about the subcompact 1911? Who makes great ones? Who should we stay away from? I’m digging the platform heavily. Who do you like?

·
Registered
449 Posts
With weapon lights, it's more about the mounting frame rails than a specific light. I don't think Wilson has a proprietary rail system, most pistols have standardized on 1913 picatinney (spelling is hard) rails. The other consideration is the length of the light so it doesn't stick out considerably from the end of the pistol. Holsters are a different story, Wilson sells holsters for the EDC but I believe they are primarily leather. If Kydex is your game, a custom holster shouldn't be too pricey. I wish I could afford one of these EDC-9's myself so I could take this journey with you!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oh! A sub compact (officer sized 1911) that I'd recommend is the Dan Wesson ECO. I've got one in 9mm and it is fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I should be focused more on the rail type than the actual model itself?

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
187 Posts
Go to the Wilson page for the X9s they have pics of the ights that mount to it as what they like on the gun. I got the Olight Valkyrie PM 2.. it is bright. Recharges without needing to be dismounted... Just put locktite on t screws that hold the light housing together. Mine came loose from recoil at the range. Go with TTGunleather or Tucker.. They can be made with an ambi safety.... As for the red dot... Mine was order with the true zero for an RMR... There are some pics on Google of what that looks like and the above mentioned holster geniuses( as they are very good) make their wares to accommodate the light and RMR...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I like small 1911's but I didn't care for the X9S, maybe if I had sent it back to Wilson for the same TS they use on the X9 it would had made a difference.

The best sub-compact I have ever owned, shot or carried is the Nighthawk Counselor and 2nd is the Dan Wesson ECO.

I also have a T4 I'm very fond of.

I use to EDC my Sentinel Compact a lot but the Counselor is lighter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm also a fan of smaller 1911/2011 pistols. I have a DW ECO in 9mm and carried it for quite a while. Mine was built vault tight and is very, very accurate. That pistol was replaced by a new Bul Armory SAS II FS. This pistol is slightly smaller in footprint than the ECO, but is a 2011 that holds 15+1 rounds of 9mm. It is now my daily carry and will most likely be for quite a while.

As far as really small 1911 style pistols, check out the Kimber Micro 9. I bought one of those for an occasion where I was going to be wearing a suit and thought the ECO would be too much. The Micro 9 is soooo much smaller than the ECO, but only gives up one round of capacity if I remember correctly. My Micro 9 did require one trip back to Kimber for some tuning, but has been flawless since. With my kydex AIWB holster, it's very easy to forget I even am carrying the Micro 9, it is so light and small.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm a big fan of the compact size 1911s, I have a Kimber that I wouldn't part with. IF a smaller carry is desired , I have tried several different models and makes and I have settled on a Kahr PM9. Extremely accurate, best trigger of any striker fired pistol and very well made. I really don't think you could do better in that size pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts