1911Forum banner

Need help identifying value of 1911 (non-A1)

2585 21
Hey there, I'm posting in an effort to help a friend identify the year of manufacture and value of a Remington Rand 1911 that he acquired many years ago from a family member.

I have examined the pistol in question and it is marked Remington Rand and is a 1911 (non-A1) and looks to be of WWI (likely 1918) manufacture. The particulars are as follows:

1. Finish - perhaps a worn Park or Bluing of some type looks original has a nice patina and no rust evident except for slight amounts on the grip screws.

2. S/N 201XX.

3. Barrel Stamped with "H"

4. Frame Stamped with "EEC" -- Which we already know from The Sight M1911 - to mean: “E.E.C.” is the mark of Edward E. Chapman who inspected 1911s at Remington in 1918 and 1919." www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/who_made_it.htm

5. Trigger Guard Stamped "115"

Any info you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DR
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, surprisingly this gun was released by the U.S. Government back in 1961 and my friend has the appropriate piece of paper which references this particular gun.

Yes, the gun does work and actually looks in awfully good shape considering it is around 87 years old. My friend confirmed that the gun does fire and he has taken it to the range a couple times.

I can likely post pics tomorrow...

· Administrator
80,269 Posts
Only the slide is from Remington Rand. The frame was made by Remington-UMC (the firearms company) in late 1918. Remington Rand was a typewriter manufacturer that made .45 pistols under contract during World War Two (from 1942-1945), so despite the similar names the two companies were in no way associated with each other. So the pistol is a mixmaster, and it was most likely refinished as well (Rem-UMC's were blued, while the Rem-Rand slide would be either Du-Lite or parkerizing). However it could be a legitimate arsenal rebuild, and as such would be worth about $1000-$1500. If you can post some pics it would be helpful to determine worth a little more easily.

· Administrator
80,269 Posts
DR, the good news is it looks to me like the parts are still original finish. The frame appears a dark brushed blue and the slide is parkerized. The bad news is you're still dealing with a mixmaster. The $6 question remains whether it came that way from the military arsenal or if somebody dicked with it in later years. Usually you don't see a mismatched finish on military firearms, as that was usually grounds to have it taken in to be refinished.

· Registered
321 Posts
That serial number doesn't look right to me. Is that how Rem UMC did serial numbers?

Does the piece still have US Property marks?

Brian

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooops, I completely forgot... I will get a photo of the original paperwork that was provided by the when the gun was released by the Government.

I will also post better photos of the left side of this piece.

According to my friend, he obtained this gun from his Uncle back in the late 60s. The gun was released per the paperwork in 1961 (as I recall). Additionally, per my friend the gun was never refinished or otherwised messed with by the Uncle or anyone else. What you see is exactly the condition it was when released by the Govt.

Strange bird, this USGI. More to come...

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,275 Posts
The hammer is unlike anything I've seen on a military pistol. The spur is shorter and thicker than any I've seen, or seen pictured.

· Registered
321 Posts
Looks like an early Colt short spur hammer. Dunno, though.

No eagle head proof, either. Built in 1919, there should be one under the EEC, right?

Brian

· Registered
96 Posts
my father bought a 1911 in 1962, i have the same type of form with it, in the lower left corner my form is DD 1149-4, cost was $17 . the form is similar to yours with the same numbered boxes but the paragraph in the middle has smaller lettering , it looks original to me. Also i have a early colt 1911 frame with a springfield slide, the slide and frame are parkerized but it does have some blued parts on it.

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
JIG BALLS said:
It looks original to me.
+1 Looks like a disbursement sale. Most likely entirely legitimate and original. PS: Sorry for the slow response, worked 'way too many hours this week....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.