1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just puchased a Lightweight Commander in 9mm (sorry, Colt, of course) and having a little problem with the serial number. Went to proofhouse.com and found that it SHOULD BE a 1972....I think.
When I purchased it from the guy he told me it was a "Pre-70's) lightweight. My quandry here is that on proofhouse's # list all the CLW #'s start with CLW00xxx. The one I purchased has only one "0" after the CLW. Not sure what to think of that. None of the CLW's on proofhouse have only one 0. Anybody know why? Am I doing it wrong? I supplied a few pics, and one with the serial #. Of course the last 2 numbers are computer smudged. Any Help? pf

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice!

He may have been referring to it as being a pre 70-series and most likely did not mean it as the date of manufacture.

Others with more knowledge will be along shortly to straighten it out for you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep..

Thanks Mercury. I didn't mean to lead anyone to beleive that the "Pre-70" was anything more than a designation meaning prior to being made prior to 1971. Just must have worded it wrong. Thanks:)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If the marking on the left side of the slide says "lightweight" anywhere it's not pre-1970. A -LW suffix is what's on the alloy Commanders.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Your gun was made in 1972....

There are no "pre-Series 70" Commanders because there are no Series 70 Commanders. Series 70 only has to do with the collet barrel and bushings put on Government Model guns starting in 1970. Commanders and Combat Commanders never had a collet barrel and bushing from the factory. BarSto made some for a while until the fingers on the collets starting failing, as they did in the factory guns and the collet bushings were dropped.

The confusion problem comes in because Combat Commanders have serial numbers that start with 70BS for blue steel and 70SC for the electroless nickel guns....but they didn't have collet bushings in them either.

The slide markings on Commanders, as in aluminum frame guns, were all the same from 1949 to about 1980. Once the Series 80 firing pin blocks were installed in Commanders the slide markings were changed. I have seen several Combat Commanders with an 80 prefix but not have the Series 80 FP block in them yet and have the original slide lettering.

Nice gun...have a great time with it.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts