1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my trigger control and I can tell a difference. What I need to improve is being more steady and holding my aim. I try to think about my breathing and pause briefly to take my shot. I even thought back to my basic marksmanship training and watch for a figure 8 movement. Best I can do so far is have a 5 or 6 inch group at about 20 yards with a occasional double hole. I know it is possible to shoot better, and I would like to shoot at the level my pistols are capable of performing. Does anyone have a suggestion that has helped them improve?

·
Registered
79 Posts
ltcdwb said:
I have been working on my trigger control and I can tell a difference. What I need to improve is being more steady and holding my aim. I try to think about my breathing and pause briefly to take my shot. I even thought back to my basic marksmanship training and watch for a figure 8 movement. Best I can do so far is have a 5 or 6 inch group at about 20 yards with a occasional double hole. I know it is possible to shoot better, and I would like to shoot at the level my pistols are capable of performing. Does anyone have a suggestion that has helped them improve?
What are you shooting? Might help with some tips. Assuming it is a 1911 style, try this:

http://www.americanshooter.com/Features/RL1/rl1.html

and

http://www.americanshooter.com/Features/RL2/rl2.html

Matt

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Lift weights one way or another

Lift weights one way or another. From hanging a milk jug full of water off the pistol while you dry fire to a full gym workout. Improve your grip strength from squeezing a tennis ball to fancy devices that simulate a pistol grip to working with free weights.

Read Gil Hebard's Pistol Shooter's Treasury and Paul Weston and a few more books.

Shoot a really accurate pistol from a 10 meter air gun to a high grade .22 a lot and then some more - then go back up the scale.

Get your eyes checked and consider a Merit attachment to dedicated prescription shooting glasses.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Get an airgun like a Daisy 717 and practice more often, for shorter periods of time. Start chasing your own pellet hole in the paper. You can easily set up a short range in your garage or basement. An airgun truly helped me get over the hump as far as accuracy is concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts