1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went shooting for the 1st time this year (I know I'm a bad boy) and when sighting in the .45 with 230gr Hydra-Shok's at 25m I was way way low. Bullet impact was at the very bottom edge of the paper, aprox 8" low.

I've got Novak low profle fixed sights with P-T Bar/dot/dot's and the pistol has never shot this low before.

I normally aim my pistols using the 6 O'clock method, (front sight at bottom of target so I can see the target better) and was doing so today. I also noticed it's getting harder to focus on the front sight. Think my middle aged eye balls are going to need a trip to the Doc.

Should I re-learn my shooting style puting the front sight on the target, or would trying a lighter bullet change the point of impact any??? I really do not want to file down the front sight any.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You will probably need to file the front sight down a BIT at a time.

You do NOT want to go to a lighter bullet - this will only add to your problem and lower POI even more. A heavier, slower bullet will help somewhat (not 8" however). A slower heavier bullet gives the gun more time to recoil, thereby raising POI marginally.

I recommend 6 o'clock hold, especially if the peepers are getting tired. This hold allows you to see more of the target, and allows you to focus more on the front sight. Most people tend to switch focus back and forth between target and sight if they hold the front bead right over top of the target. A 6 o'clock hold also makes it easier to shoot faster, and in lower light conditions. Most will hold the sights there anyway in an attempt to see the target better when shooting fast or in lower light.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,001 Posts
"The pistol has never shot this low before" indicates that you shouldn't change the pistol. If it was on target before, then there's something other than the gun/sights at work here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sandbag it, clamp it, do whatever you have to do to remove, or minimize the human element.

Stick with the same load for the first test, record results, make whatever notes you deem appropriate, then go to the next load, and repeat.

You might want to think about cleaning the gun between load testing.

The key to the troubleshooting (sorry) process is the mechanical substitute for human fallibilities. Once you've done that, you can develop your gun as much as you want until you are ready to bring your shooting skills up to the efficiency/accuracy level of the gun, and exceed them.

Don't try to preach on a rickety soapbox.
You'll only embarrass yourself, and ruin a perfectly good soapbox.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Have some friends or someone else shoot it to comfirm the point of impact. use the same ammo during this test (only change the human factor). Try a bech rest or shoot off a table or supported hold. (reduce the human error). Next try a different ammo.(known to change point of impact)
Try to isolate the change to make the P.O.I. shift before making any changes.ie: ammo,practice,dirty equipment,....

IF everything seems to point to a change in sight adjustment,adjust front or rear sight as needed. Inches off @25yard X sight radius / 900(inches in 25 yd) = change required in sight.

IF everything seems to point to a change in sight adjustment,adjust front or rear sight as needed. Inches off @25yard X sight radius / 900(inches in 25 yd) = change required in sight.

FYI Novak makes a +.050 rear fixed sight available from Brownells or MCC makes an adjustable to fit a novak cut if need....Good luck ROFI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts