1911Forum banner

Need Help on Mil-spec

819 8
I am planning on buying a milspec this weekend or next there are gun shows on both in my area which is Dallas. My question is do the mil's come in od green. Also are they decent guns with the ability to be great. I will do a trigger job and other mods I am sure when I become more educated with 1911's I have heard nothing but good things about springfield products. I have about $850 to spend and want a quality 1911 that I can make look unique. I own a sig p220 that has been awesome to me. But I have always liked the look of the 1911. any advice or ideas would be awesome. I am also new to this forum and the people here have been great with info and very friendly. I am so glad I found this forum. Thanks Guys ! :biglaugh:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
One of mine is a milspec and I love it. Great gun - easy to work on and shoot. Mine shoots very well even though I've tried to kill it with my less-than-professional personal gunsmithing skills :)

As far as I know the mil spec doesn't come in OD green, I think Springfield only does that for it's "GI" models.

If you have $850 to spend you might find yourself in position to pick up a fullsized model aka "loaded" model. Personally I think it's a better value, but opinions vary widely on which is a better bang for the buck between the milspec and the loaded.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
I also think the Loaded is the best value for your bucks, considering you got quite a good budget. Mil-specs don't come in OD, only Parkerized (grayish black, Springfield does a nice one), stainless (excellent steel) and nickel plated (for the one in .38 Super, although that one is over your budget). The GI model is available in OD, so is the loaded (MC Operator, although that one is over your budget too).

Mil-specs are that, mlitary specification models. So don't expect a tight slide and match grade accuracy. The Loaded is made like a custom tuned gun, so that one you can expect to be tight, and with a fitted match barrel and bushing. The GI is somewhat like the Mil-Spec, minus a bit of machining on the slide and frame.

Happy shopping! Can't go wrong with Springfield :rock:

Alex.

· Registered
117 Posts
I've seen and/or heard about loaded aka "Full Sized" models going for anywhere from $600 to about $850. The MSRPs range from that on up a bit - check out Springfield's website for detailed MSRPs. You could probably check out Davidson's website to see what most dealers are selling them for.

As far as what you should modify/upgrade? Depends on what you want to do with it. All I changed on mine was grips and the front sight. I use it for IPSC matches every month. I usually shoot it at least once a week outside of matches.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow !

Thanks for the info guys ! I feel like I avoided a mistake. I will go with the loaded. Hope I see some at the gun show. I f not I can have my local gun shop order it I would think. I like the one that is parkerized but have never actually seen one up close just pics on the web. Looking forward to the purchase ! :biglaugh:

· Registered
1,627 Posts
jaysuntx said:
Thanks for the info guys ! I feel like I avoided a mistake.
Nah I wouldn't call it a mistake really. Mil-Specs are fine guns, but the Loaded is very hard to beat when it comes to bang for the buck. It depends what you want to do with it.

I didn't change much anything on my loaded. I changed the grips, only to come back with the original after a while. Hard to beat well checkered exotic wood on that gun. I changed the mainspring housing for a checkered one. I changed some springs as part of a tuning job, and did a trigger job myself to eliminate creep and have a nice 3 3/4 lbs. pull. I bought a good leather holster and tons of ammo!

I see a lot of people that get the frontstrap of the grip checkered on their loaded, and add a magwell to ease up speed reloads.

Alex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.