1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into collecting few custom 1911, money is not a prblem want best of the best need advice on what to get. Been reading and got some names (Les Baer, Wilson, STI and others). Please advise thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If money is not a problem, then I would start with an order from each, Les Baer, Wilson Combat and Ed Brown. When you get those and you are sure you want to continue collecting 1911s, then start looking for true custom 1911s and collectable Colts.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Nice position to be in.

There are a great many semi-custom 1911's out there. Many have been mentioned above. (Don't forget Nighthawk).

And then on to the true customs. Too many to mention in this post. But I would suggest starting with any of the above mentioned guns and move up from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread. Reason i'm getting into 1911 is I just sold my Colt M16A1 (Wife made me due to kids) and if custom is better than fctory ones, need info on where to go.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Best of the Best is more like Heinie, Yost, Sams and many more

Best of the Best is more like the crowd at Louder Than Words and some more. Heinie, Yost, Sams and many more. Pistol Dynamics is up there, C.T. Brian and Michiguns and more. Rogers and Rodgers and folks who post here and folks who don't.

I can't afford to collect; I can hardly afford to accumulate. It's easy to see places where my Wilson could be improved but it suits me. Still my Wilson is my #2 gun behind a mild carry build from a name smith that isn't deluxe but is just flat nicer in my eyes than the Wilson.

Truth is when both were more common I could easily see the difference between a Colt .357 and a Python. The .357 was good enough that I would have felt as well armed with the cheaper revolver as with the deluxe version. But oh could I tell the difference. Similarly I would feel as well armed with a late S&W Model 28 as with an early Model 27 but oh could I tell the difference. Among guns I actually carried I preferred a Model 58 to a Model 57 and today I would rather have that Model 58 back than the Performance Center 657 I bought in memory of that long ago Model 58 - at some point nicer in a handgun becomes a want not a need.

I don't think a pistol has to be customized for the individual buyer to be among the best of the best - a representative example of the maker's best work can and for the best makers does fall into the best of the best category.

For the best of the best I suppose the maker can make the next one better but to my eye the pistols are darn near perfect - and it shows on the price tag as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
need info on where to go.
It really depends on what you want. The premium builders have a style that they have perfected.

Can a rock band play country? Sure. Can a country band play the blues? Sure. However, with a few exceptions, bands like gunsmiths, have a style that is best for them.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I suggest you start off with one or two of the high end semi-custom production 1911's, to get your feet wet. Then, perhaps a custom build might interest you - depending on how deep your pockets are. How about the Ed Brown Executive Target? I really like mine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Full auto semiauto one three bullets in face of child is no different really.
With children the rifle probably still safer if that's an issue think harder for childs small arms to touch trigger while staring down barrel on a rifle.
Anyway for a true custom CT Brian titanium my personal dream 1911.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Try Gary at randgfirearms.com he has a bunch of 1911's built by the older master gunsmiths. Great prices, and very nice to deal with. Been doing business with him for over 25 years.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Having a variety of nice guns to shoot is not really a bad problem to have - and I've done the same thing you are suggesting over the last 3 or 4 years:

Les Baer Monolith model in 9mm

Wilson Combat CQB .45 ACP
Wilson Combat Protector, all stainless, .45 ACP
Wilson Combat Protector, all stainless, 9mm
Wilson Combat Protector, all stainless, .40 S&W

Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45 ACP

I'll even add in the top of the line Sig 226 X-Five race gun ( with the wooden grips and adjustable trigger ) - its not a 1911, its kind of its own beast, and at $ 2,600 or so its in the same price range (mine is a .40 S&W but they make it in 9mm as well.)

Each of the companies has pros and cons - but honestly, my favorite is Wilson Combat, and I like an all stainless gun so I've purchased a few in the Protector model. They've all come in with great fit and finish on them / and ran flawlessly right out of the box ( which I can't say for Baer ). But now that I have the Baer broken in - it shoots very well. My Ed Brown was an impulse buy - sitting in inventory in a shop I frequent / couldn't help myself. I like the gun / but in hindsight, the shorter frame and 7 round mag doesn't fit my hand the way a full size frame does. It shoots very well / and it's a great looking gun.

My personal recommendation is to consider starting with Wilson Combat - give one of their reps a call and see what they have in stock / see what you think after you've had it for awhile. Talk to some of the guys at the range - see what they're shooting / see what they like or dislike about their guns. Most guys that have more than one semi-custom or true custom 1911's will probably tell you honestly what they like or dislike about their guns after you get to know them a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts