1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking a trigger kit for my govt 1911 build right now and don't know which one to go with. I remember reading good things about the Cylinder and Slide kit but, I see EGW also has a kit that is about half the price on Brownell's. is the CS kit that much better or requires that much less work to function properly? Do you guys recommend any other kits? I have all the necessary tools and jigs and stones to do a proper trigger job so, all the gunsmith fit stuff is fine with me :)

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
In that case, I'd suggest the EGW kit, not just because they offer high quality parts and service (which they do), but also because they regularly post here to help us rookies out. Buying from them is, I think, a great way to pay them back for that generosity to the forum.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would go with the C&S kit. I have it in my competition pistol and it works great. My next pick would be the EGW if I could not get the C&S.

JB

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I used the Nowlin Drop In "trigger job" with the commander style hammer in my Government Model so I could add a Wilson Drop In beavertail safety. Both installed with no fitting.

The Nowlin kit had the hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring, and mainspring. Literal kitchen table work.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have all the necessary tools and jigs and stones to do a proper trigger job so, all the gunsmith fit stuff is fine with me :)
If you have all the tools, why are you replacing anything other than the trigger itself?:confused:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
EGW is a great parts maker. I have used their slotted hammers and sears. I am very happy. They give you enough meat on the hammer hooks to make a very safe trigger pull. I think mine were 23 thou out of the box. Spec is 25. Normal is ~18. thanks EGW for not being normal. BTW, this can make your pull have creep feeling, if everything else isn't perfect.

The sear is hard, but it cuts well with my synthetic stones. Never a soft spot which gouges or over cuts. It was very easy to get a mirror polish with the white stone.

Generally, these parts are simply cut, but completey free of roughness which I generally feel I have to remove.

The only negative is that the hammer will/may need asthetic cutting to match your tastes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use EGW. If you want to fit parts yourself exactly the way you want them, EGW is the only way to go. Top quality at a good price. If you have the tools and knowledge, fitting an ignition set is not too difficult.

Cylinder and Slide is more finished for those who want some of the work already done. If the parts drop in, great, if not you may end up doing the same work you would have done with the EGW set at twice the price.

Another alternative is the Berryhill ignition set. Its made by the same supplier that makes them for C&S but at a lower price.

They are all great quality, the question is whether you want to pay someone else or do the work yourself.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've never bought a package deal but if I did I'd go with George's parts at EGW just because,but others make good stuff too.I must say I never used George's hammer but his sear is awesome.I personally have a diehard preference to Wilson's Ultralite hammer for an unnexplainable reason because I'm really not a big Wilson style fan (?,got me).Most of the parts I buy are Brown or George's,cause I know the quality is top notch,but barrel choices lie elsewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts