1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first own deer rifle. Remington 7400 .30-06 Carbine. Got it for $350 NIB on clearence & w/ 40$ Remington fall rebate. Damn good buy if I do say so my self. Here is the million dollar question, what scope? The only scope I have ever used was on my dads ole winchester 70. It was a Leopold 2x7. The Rifle is going to be a deer/hog brush gun for central & east texas. I figure with only a 18" barrel, 300 yds is probably as far as I want to go for a clean kill. Any suggestions? I have been looking through catalogs but I am not really sure what I need to be looking for. Thanks guys

BTW: are there any cool accessories or mods you would recomend?

-D
---
RIP: TFL

·
Banned
597 Posts
I for one don't think you can ever go wrong with a Leupold. There might be cheaper, there might be better, but for a $$/value ratio I don't think they can be beat. Burris is also a fine company, and I have a scout scope made by them that I like very much. They are often a little cheaper than the Leupolds.

For standard glass, these are really the only two manufacturers I would consider. I have always spent as much on the scope (sometimes more) than I do on the gun, as a general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! What stats as far as power, obj.dia., eye relief, and FOV @ 100yds would you recommend.

Thanks again

-D

·
Banned
597 Posts
In terms of power and FOV, I'll have to defer to the hog hunters in the crowd, as that's not an activity I've ever had the pleasure of partaking of. I was unaware that hog hunters made 300 yard shots. I would have expected everything to be in the 100 or under range.
However, I do personally have an affinity for fixed-power scopes. I have owned variables before, and never changed the damn things. I always cranked them all the way up to the max and never touched them again.
If you hadn't said 300 yards, I would be inclined towards something like Leupold's M8 - 6x36, and they have a 6x42 is you're not as concerned about weight and/or think you'd be doing any low-light shooting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i should have clarified that. the 300 yds is for deer. I dont intend on shooting a hog over 50 yds really. I like to get as close as possible, its more fun that way :D And in reality, I would be surprised that I find a deer in central or east texas at a range of 300 yds that I can make a good shot at. I just want the capability incase that 12 point wants to say hi

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Nothing wrong with a hog rifle that can hit at 300 yds!!!! That is a challenge, and a worthy one at that. I know several varminters that have optimized/customized their setup to do just that - and nothing but. If you can hit a 'chuck in the head at 300 yds, it is a compliment to the shooter and his equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Nukeit...

My choice would be the same type scope as on your Dad's rifle.

2-7 Leupold would work great at 2 power for hogs and have the capability of 7 power for those longer shots.

Why is it that the older we get the smarter our parents seem to become? ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ideally, I like iron sights for hog hunting, or any other close range/brush applications (something in a .45-70 is my favorite.

But if you want something you can use in both situations, I would go with a Nikon monarch or buckmaster in 3x9x50. IMO, the Nikon has the highest quality/price ratio. They can be had for around $250. I would definitely go with the 50mm, as it provides more light transmission and a wider FOV. For hogs, I'd set it on 3X and roll...You can bump it up for longer ranges.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Do not skimp. There is a difference in the scopes from Leupold. Not that there aren't some decent scopes at a lower price point, there are. Burris' higher end scopes exhibit noteworthy clarity. But I tell you, the Leupolds that come through the shop are remarkable. Take your time and see for yourself.

Be well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah esp Dads, they always seem to be one step of the game. Its even funnier when my dad out shoots me with a .38 colt det spcl that he hasnt picked up in 5 yrs. :D

Everyone has certianly given great advice, and I thank you all. I'm going to have to sit down with the Cabela's catalog tonight and compare. I will have to say the Burris Ballistic Plex crosshair is awesome. Sounds like 2x7 or 3x9 will fit the bill. Nikon and Leupold have a good following too.

Thanks everybody, I'll let you know how the elimination process goes.

-D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
ill toss in a vote for bushnell...the 3200 and 4200 series are hard to beat for quality...definantly better than the similarly priced leupolds. Something to watch out for with leupolds vs the bushnell, the low end leupolds arent worth the metal and glass they are made from, and for the price of a base model leupold you can get a high end bushnell and have a scope that is clearer and better than many of the high end leupolds...this is JMO...and i know im gonna get flamed by the leupold lovers...but oh well...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
NJKimberSS, are you talking about the VX-II Leupolds or the lesser models?

According to Burris' website the Leupolds have quite a bit less light transmission. (But never ask a Ford salesman's opinion on a Chevy either). I cant find any figures on the Leupold website regarding their light transmission percentage. And dont get me started on Nikon's website, its about as user friendly as Sand Paper TP.

$400 is about as much as I want to spend. Since my range will be within 300yds I don't figure I will need anything more than a 3x9 or 2x7. Right? The range, again being self restricted due to barrel length.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to-

Nikon:
Buckmaster 3x9x50mm, 3.5 eye relief, 12.7 oz., 33.8-11.3 FOV
Monarch 3x9x40mm, 3.5 eye relief, 12.6 oz., 33.8-11.3 FOV
Monarch 2x7x32mm, 3.9-6 eye relief, 11.2 oz., 44.5-12.7 FOV
Burris:
Fulfield II 3x9x40mm, 3.1-8 eye relief, 13 oz., 32-13 FOV
Leupold:
VX-II 3x9x50mm, 4.7-3.7 eye relief, 14 oz., 32-14 FOV
VX-II 2x7x33mm, 4.9-3.8 eye relief, 10.5 oz., 42.5-18 FOV
Bushnell :
Elite 3200 3x9x40mm, 3.3 eye relief, 13 oz., 33.8-11.5 FOV

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yeah...get a Nikon. You'll come about $150 under budget, and have $ left over for good rings and a bunch of ammo, some camo, copenhagen---whatever....

Who cares about the website. Go down to your local shop and look through a bunch of models, or order from Cabela's. BTW, I would love to have a Leopold, but it would have to be the VarX III, 50mm. Not gonna happen on this cowboy's budget.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts