1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m going duck hunting in the morning (first time), and I have a question.

I have a Rem 11-87 SPS, and I want to shoot with a modified cyl. The only cylinder that is specifically labeled for "steel or lead" is the full. However, on Rems' website, the only mofified choke they list says "steel or lead". What gives?

I would assume that if they have to label one steel or lead, that would mean that those not labeled as such are for lead only.

I don't want to ruin a choke, but I'll only be shooting a maximum of 50 rnds.

Quick responses are welcomed, as I am leaving at 3am, and need to figure something out if I can't use the mod. Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
The modified cylinder should be fine for steel or lead. Some full choke tubes have to much constriction and will be torn up by steel shot, because it is too hard. Usually chokes will be marked "lead only" if so. At worse you'll chew up a ten dollar choke tube.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems odd, though, that the full choke would be the only one labeled steel??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Use the mod, it will be fine. If you are shooting full or more compressed, you want a chake that is labeled for steel, otherwise no worries :)

What shells r u shooting? 3", 3 1/2" steel, hevi-shot, or "other?"

I've been shooting the hevishot recently (and the banker (wife) has taken notice) and have done some nice things with it. Most noticably was a pheasant through dense cover and 30 yards, dropped him like a bad habit.

Good luck...my season for ducks opens back up on the 13th. Haven't gotten a duck yet this year though, just geese.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jst got back. Cold, windy, rain...didn't matter after all. I didn't even get a shot. Oh, well...much better than being at work!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dont' remember where I read it, but I remember reading something about the full and extra full chokes actually spreading steel shot more than modified choke. I also remember something along the lines of a "regular" choke tube is actually the next step tighter when fired with steel. i.e. mod with lead will throw a full pattern with steel.

Not sure if these are accurate, it's been a long time (unfortunately) since I've had anything to do with the subject.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Forstr said:
Cold, windy, rain...didn't matter after all. I didn't even get a shot. Oh, well...much better than being at work!

Most of my upland game bird days......My friends say I'm nuts to hunt w/o a dog. My 20 gauge over under will not shoot steel through a full choke, so when I do get a shot they are usually long. If you've never tried Chukar, I'd highly recommend it. I'm headed out this morning to see how many miles I can hike along the Lower Deschutes river. NO ROADS! My favorite kind of hunting spot.

-B

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck! Still not sure what Chukar is, and I'm too lazy to google it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts