1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a used Kimber 1911 that has a nice ambi safety that was installed by the previous owner. I'd like to switch this out for traditional, non-ambi safety. I've researched in my reference books and on the net about how to fit a thumb safety properly and I also bought an Ed Brown tactical thumb safety to install.

I stripped my gun down to the frame, and tested the Ed Brown safety. I noticed that the slot between the main body of the safety and the safety lug is narrow on the Ed Brown part. The slot is narrow enough that when I install the safety on my stripped frame (with the sear and disconnector removed) the safety fits in the cutout in the frame, but will not pivot around its axis because the slot is too narrow. The frame interferes with the lug instead of fitting in between the lug and the main body of the thumb safety.

I assume that the slot is undersized to provide a nice tight fit once the piece has been properly fitted and this slot has been enlarged to accomodate frame. However, the safety that came with my gun looks like it has a wider slot that did not need any material removed in order to be able to rotate freely within my stripped frame.

I have some jeweller's files that I can use to enlarge the slot and fit the safety to my frame, but I was wondering if members have had experience with installing other brands of thumb safeties in their gun. In your experience, did the safety you use require that you enlarge the slot (in addition to fitting the lug to mate properly with the sear)?

What brand of aftermarket, non-ambi thumb safety would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I usually use Brown safeties on the guns I build but have use other safeties in the past. What your seeing is normal. I normally have to remove a little metal to get them to move without dragging. Take your time. I find the Brown to be the best of the lot. Give me a call if your run into any problems.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've used Ed Brown components in the past and I am continually impressed with their quality. They are so nicely finished. I will proceed with the Brown safety.

PS - I just took a look at your website, beautiful guns!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Seen the Kings'?

I like the the way the Kings thumb safety lever goes all the way back to the pivot end. It just looks sturdier and beefier than most of the others on the market.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Personally, I like the Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safeties -

YMMV

:)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
OJK said:
Personally, I like the Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safeties...
Wow, those are new to me! I have a CBOB that requires my thumb to be too high for comfortably riding on the safety. Where may I find these?

TY,

Ben

Edit: I see that Brownell's carries them.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Ben B. said:
Wow, those are new to me! I have a CBOB that requires my thumb to be too high for comfortably riding on the safety. Where may I find these?

TY,

Ben

Edit: I see that Brownell's carries them.
Yep - that's where I got them - required a slight touch up with file but were easy to install and they really are as comfortable as they look. I generally put about two boxes of 50 through them weekly.

:rock:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
After seeing the Gunsite Low Mount on this thread, I ordered one for my CBOB. Lacking training or most correct tools, I like to precede cautiously. I removed the stock safety and inserted the low mount in to get an idea of what fitting might be required. It did notr easily go fully in, so I removed the MSH and grip safety, and futzed around with hammer position and the thumb safety all with the idea of figuring out where I had too much metal. After one particular schwiggle, it popped into place. I then tried to get it out.

And tried again. And again. On and on. It was stuck in.

I had a good idea of what area was stuck, but couldn't free it. It had not required any force to go in, and was quite frustrating. I was considering taking a paper bag full of parts to the gunsmith, which so far I have avoided having to do. After an hour of cautious fiddling, I eventually got it free. Did some fitting for another 30 mins, take a bit off and retry...then I let the plunger spring get away from me and had to disassemble the garage to find it inside one of my kids boots!

Gratefully, I resassembled, did some dehorning of a corner, and had to make 2 detents to get solid clicks up and down. Did plenty of function testing for safety, all good. It probably could stand a polishing, and it took awhile, but it sure is satisfying doing it yourself.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Those gunsite low mounts...

Is the lever so low when the safety is off, that you actually hit the left side grips? The pictures above show (I think) some dents on the wood.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Is the lever so low when the safety is off, that you actually hit the left side grips? The pictures above show (I think) some dents on the wood.
Just barely - the Rosewood grips are a tad thicker but the nick is hardly noticable and no problem.

However, if you "slim" the safety on the inside, it can cause problems catching on the leather when you reholster - DAMHIK.

Better left as it is - really not a problem and the comfort of the lower safety lever is well worth it.

:D

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have slim grips on mine, and it doesn't touch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts