1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members,

I was hoping someone may have figured out how to solve this issue. I have an STI DVC .357 Sig (I know there are not that many floating around). I purchased new in box. It has the 126mm mags.

From new, it would jam on feeding with nose down if I put any more than 6 rounds in the mag. Also, the followers in both mags extended beyond the plane of the feed lips when empty. I shot about 200 rounds to break it in but no change.

I contacted STI, they did at first send me replacement updated mags. twice, but the new mags reacted the same. Then they did warranty it for me, sent me a shipping label and I sent it in. they sent it back with all 6 mags "tuned".

Now, the original mags are better, I can run 10 rounds without failure. The new mags are about the same, but when fully loaded with 17, the failure will happen randomly for the first 7 rounds or so.

I have used Winchester, CCI Lawman, Fiocchi and Remington, they all respond the same so I don't feel it is ammo related.

So, anyone have a similar experience? If so, what solutions were found if any?

Thanks for any information I can get, I love this gun otherwise and do not want to give up on it,

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions for you. Speaking generally, I have addressed chronic nosedive feeding issues in the past by cutting the ramp to a less steep angle, at the cost of case support in the chamber. However, most ramped 1911 barrels already have excellent case support, so I feel this is (more often than not) an acceptable compromise.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We attempted a pistol deal with STI several years ago, maybe 9 years ago. We were gonna do a 2011 in .357 Sig and a 1911 in .45. they never could get the 2011 to run 100% which we needed for duty guns. They can be made to run reliably, but the mag maintenance isn't worth the trouble. Personally, I'd have someone fit a .40 barrel and shoot the snot out of it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Virgil Tripp used to have an article on his site about angular gap being a mag/cartridge issue with the 1911 platform. The more rounds in the mag, the more gap and with .357 sig, being a bottle neck cartridge, it's even worse.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
Feeding problems with STI 2011 gun and mags....

I shoot IDPA competition, and was having occasional jams with a magazine, which is a new Generation II STI 2011 9mm/.38 super mag. At the last match, it cost me too much time to clear the jam, so I decided to fix the mag.

I found the nylon polymer follower was very tight at the top of the mag, so apparently sometimes a round would not be in the proper position to feed if the round was not at the top of the mag . I removed the spring with the follower attached, and then slowly pushed the nylon follower upward into the empty mag tube.....I could feel too much resistance as the follower move upward to the top of the mag....I was able to file the sides and other areas of the nylon polymer to relieve the tight fit, and the mag seemed to work much better when cycling the gun with 9mm dummy rounds.

I took my gun and mags to the range the other day, and tested the mag that had been giving me issues. It worked flawlessly for about 100 rounds of testing, so I believe the mag is now working properly.....:)

I recently built an STI 2011 Commander .38 super for EDC. I tested the gun using the same Gen II 9mm/.38 super mags, and it works very well with the same mags I use for my STI 2011 9mm...... :rock:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Caveat: I shoot 40s&w not 357sig, but some of these STI/SVI mag issues are ubiquitous.
There may be an tight/uneven/rough spot in the mag tube (ribs at the transition?) or on the follower that causes enough of a delay to cause a jam.
If I understand the OP, all the mags are jamming 7rds into a string of fire. Look at where the follower is in the tube at that 7rd point and check it out.
Proper follower for the mag tube?

Have you measured/checked the feedlips? Considered opening up the front slightly compared to the rear to facilitate a more upward release?
Mag catch good?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the ideas, I have not yet tried to take the mag apart and look for a bind but that sure does sound like a great thought. I should have time this weekend ad will try it.
I'll follow up on this once I get a chance to check them.
As a clarification, the jams occur anywhere above 6-7 rounds randomly, not always at the same spot.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
STI 2011 mags and jams.....

the jams occur anywhere above 6-7 rounds randomly, not always at the same spot
When an STI 2011 126mm mag is loaded with 10 rounds, there is always more spring tension due to the ten rounds compressing the spring. Once 6-7 rounds are fired, there is considerably less upward pressure of the spring since there is less compression...… sounds to me like you may have to adjust the followers.....they might be too tight at the top of the mag tube.....:confused:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rwehavinfunyet, that tip seemed to make sense, I tried it and get inconsistent results mostly due to me but I can feel resistance. I don't know what is normal but worth a try. What did you use to file down? Sandpaper, metal file?? What ever tips you can offer here would be appreciated. I will try this with 1 mag. and see how it works.
Thanks again and to all for the input.
Tony

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
On a side I wanted to convert one of my 1911's to 357 Sig so called Barsto for a barrel, he told me they don't make them anymore because there were too many problems with them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yeah, I'm not going to recommend Bar-So for anything. I had a horrible experience dealing with getting a barrel from them and their gunsmithing services. It's not the company it used to be.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
I did a little light sanding on one follower and same issue. Also, the mags are 140mm and not the 126 I typed above.
It looks like I have to contact STI and see if they can give it another try.
Thanks again for all the input,
Tony

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can also order competition followers from Dawson Precision. These followers are straight with a dip rather than a slanted plastic piece. These seem to work extremely well. Or like rwehavinfunyet says, trim the followers you have to feed smoother. I shoot uspsa and always order the competition followers from Dawson when I get new mags or a new gun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that loridah,
I have already sent it back to STI, they said that due to the profile of the .357 Sig round they do have issues with feeding. The do not seem to be able to make this one work well with full mags. It seems they are going to replace the gun and willing to discuss a different caliber with me.
I really wanted this round as it is to me most fun to shoot, but I need it to be reliable so I will settle on something soon.
Thanks again to all for the ideas and support.
Tony

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It seems they are going to replace the gun and willing to discuss a different caliber with me.
What are you thinking of replacing it with? 38Super would be a good alternative (9x23 would be better but STI is not currently chambering ang guns in that caliber) or 10mm.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
I've always heard that the bottleneck cartridges were supposed to feed better and be more reliable BECAUSE of the bottleneck. Now I hear that they are actually worse? I only have 2 SIG 229s in 357 sig and have never experienced a problem with them feeding, but then all my other SIGs in 9mm and 40 s & w run flawless as well. The only downside to feeding I had previously heard of with 357 SIG involved the bullets slipping back into the shell casing during recoil or during chambering and unchambering during unloading of the weapon repeatedly. The fix for that was to use a powder that filled up the case completely and didn't leave room for the bullet to fall back into the case.

This is all new information to me. Sorry you are having that difficulty - frustrating at best.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've always heard that the bottleneck cartridges were supposed to feed better and be more reliable BECAUSE of the bottleneck. Now I hear that they are actually worse? I only have 2 SIG 229s in 357 sig and have never experienced a problem with them feeding, but then all my other SIGs in 9mm and 40 s & w run flawless as well. The only downside to feeding I had previously heard of with 357 SIG involved the bullets slipping back into the shell casing during recoil or during chambering and unchambering during unloading of the weapon repeatedly. The fix for that was to use a powder that filled up the case completely and didn't leave room for the bullet to fall back into the case.

This is all new information to me. Sorry you are having that difficulty - frustrating at best.
The difference is the sigs were designed around the shorter rounds and have mags made for the short rounds. There is a lot of room in a 2011 magazine for things to go wrong with the shorter rounds.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The difference is the sigs were designed around the shorter rounds and have mags made for the short rounds. There is a lot of room in a 2011 magazine for things to go wrong with the shorter rounds.
Agreed. I’ve experimented with bottle neck cartridges in the 2011 platform. All the smiths I’ve worked with either tell me no they know from experience it will not work or give up trying to make it work.

Consensus is that (unfortunately) a glock is a good platform.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
STI 2011 mags.....

There are many variables that may affect the performance of an STI 2011 mag.

My criteria is I want any STI 2011 mag I use to be able to feed and function without jams when using JHP bullet profiles.... If a gun is able to feed JHP bullets, it will usually feed any bullet profile. I have been successful in getting my mags to all work without issues with JHP rounds.

Since I build m own STI 2011 guns, I like and use "gunsmith fit" W/N ramped barrels from Kart and Bar Sto. I order and use STI 2011 steel receivers with a W/N ramp cut from L-10 machine out of San Diego. All of my STI 2011 gun builds are extremely reliable!!! I use STI 2011 guns with JHP bullet profiles for EDC, Action Steel, IDPA, and USPSA. I like and prefer JHP bullet profiles since they are more accurate, and also very good for self defense loads.

I fit the barrel with the W/N ramp so the bottom of the ramp is protruding slightly inside the polymer grip. Since the mag will hit the bottom of the ramp when inserting a mag, I cut the bottom of the ramp flush with the inside of the grip. This still allows a bullet to strike the ramp midway or higher up the ramp, which seems to allow ideal bullet feeding. Having the barrel ramp as close as possible to the mag without touching the mag, allows less chance of bullet nosedives striking the ramp too low...…

I also may need to remove some of the material on the nylon polymer mag follower. If the nylon polymer is a tight fit when it rises to the top of the mag, this may cause feeding issues on the last or the second to the last round.....and cause a jam. I want an STI 2011 follower to be able rise to the top of a mag without excessive tension on the front, back, and sides of the nylon follower.....I may use files and/or Dremel sanding bits to accomplish this.

Another thing I do, is to make sure the STI mag sits high in the frame when the mag "clicks" into the mag catch slot of the mag. If an STI 2011 mag seats, then drops .020" -- .030" this may cause feeding issues when the mag sits too low..... I will usually weld up the mag catch ledge and refit the ledge, to allow the mag to sit higher in the frame when seated. I recently had a friend with two STI 2011 "style" 170mm mags that would not allow proper feeding with 9mm rounds in his STI 2011 built gun. He sold me two 170mm mags for $100. I have an STI 2011 built 170mm mag, so I checked the mag specs, and found on my two slightly used 170mm mags, the top of the cut-out for the mag catch was cut too high on the mag, which allowed the mag when seated to drop too low. Since all of my mags worked fine with my STI Open gun, I ended up adding metal by welding/adding metal to the top of the mag catch cut out hole on the mag, then carefully reshaping to fit, so the mag sat higher in the gun......this cured the feeding issues, and the mags now works fine using any bullet profile I choose......:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts