1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help understanding my reloads.

My objective was to find a better load for my .45 for IPSC. I have numerous recoil springs now...

I have a M1911 style .45 with a stock 16lb recoil spring.

I loaded some 185gr SWC with Win 231. I had to put 6.1gr of powder in it, in order to get the rid of my FTE, and get the slide to lock on the last round. Seemed like I was at the top end of the powder charge for that round.

I tried some 200gr SWC with 4.9gr of Win 231 and have had no problems!!

Why would less powder and a heavier bullet work better with a 16lb spring than a lighter bullet?

Thanks,

Joe

I am not an expert a reloading... kinda new at this.

·
Registered
724 Posts
n4ziq, for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. It takes more energy to push a heavier bullet. The action pushes the bullet forward, the opposite reaction pushes the slide backwards. Bob

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Try to line up a chronograph. A 200 grain bullet and 4.9 grains of Win 231 is not likely to make IPSC major power factor. You need 825+ fps for P.F. 165 or better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have more than 4.9gr of powder, but that's what my scale measures. I just read another post about the Lyman scale not being very accurate... now I am not sure about how much powder is coming out. The more I read, the more I realize that my scale may be an issue. Although, I still need to chronograph my reloads to see what I am getting.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
724 Posts
n4ziq, the scale reading consistantly is probably most important. All firearms of the same caliber are different so are reloading components. You need to watch for signs of pressure as outlined in a reloading handbook as you approach the middle to upper limits of a particular powder load. Different primers, cases, and bullets can all make a difference. Bob

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
If you don't trust your scale, STOP!
It is the only control a hobby reloader has over what is going on in the chamber. "Pressure signs" in a 18,000 psi .45 ACP are very subtle and hard to spot.

RCBS and maybe others sell check weights to test scales with. I suggest you get a set, they are not expensive, certainly not compared to a gun or your face. If you know another reloader, you can get an idea by weighing some small objects on his scale to check yours with. Paper clips, short pieces of wire or plastic, etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I sincerely hope your scale isn't THAT inaccurate - it takes me 5.4 grains of W231 behind a 200-gr LSWC to make major from my 5" barrel!

Edited to fix a dangerous load typo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a quick check of my scale. So far, I measure 4.9gr and it is closer to 5.2gr. I will get more accurate measurements once I borrow a digital scale.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Buy the Lyman scale check weights

N4ZIG,

You need to be able to double check your scale every time you start a new batch of reloads.

Buy the Lyman scale check weights and after zeroing the scale check it against the Scale Check Weights at the weight you are going to throw. Also check the scale periodicaly during the loading process.

You'll find that most Beam scales are more accurate then the Electronic scales common to handloading. Electronic scales are less demanding and are quicker for what we handloaders do.

Respectfully,

jkelly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts