1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new Kimber 1911. This will be my first 1911. My local club has a tuesday night shooting for 1911s.
What Kimber should one buy for Target shooting?

This will be my only 1911.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
boyeraz said:
This will be my only 1911.
Yeah, right, we'll see about that. I thought the same when I bought my first 1911. Good thing I didn't bet any money on it... :D

P.S. I don't have enough experience with Kimbers to suggest the best (or better) one for you, so I'll leave it up to professionals... Tracy?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Any of the Custom variations will do the trick. Its also never a bad idea to pick up a used one. I like Wilson mags, but the Power mags by Chip are also a good choice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
and buy the best overall package you can afford. In six months you'll be trolling for another model with the bells and whistles you skipped on the first purchase.

:D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would check out the www.kimberamerica.com site and see what options you would like/available on their models. I bought the basic compact for some carry and plinking cans.

I don't need the checkering or the adjustable sights. I am thinking about night sights. I didn't really have the money for a cdp model and I kind of wanted a series 1 model. A friend has the series 11 with the cdp and it is one sharp pistola. Mine is SS.

Tom

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
For target shooting I would buy the Custom target model which has adjustable sights. I believe, or at least from what I have seen, they are only $80-$100 more than their basic model. I think it's quite a good value in the Kimber line.

You would spend double that putting on good adjustable sights on a fixed sight model.

Good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
Take a look at the Kimber TLE.Very nice package deal,night sites,checkered front strap,most of the bells and whistles.It's the same gun the LA SWAT team uses.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You really have to just decide on the sights, fixed, night, or adjustable for the Kimbers in the 600-900 range, a few other things here or there.

If you're going to do USPSA type shooting, some models (like the TLE), will give you more problems finding holsters for them, because of the rail. Look at those first too.

Ditto on the Magazines: the factory mags are junk. I use McCormicks in both of mine.

Stasher - what's the problem in the Alum frames? Because of the steel follower? I use the McCormicks there too, no problem, and the factory Kimber is steel - is this really a problem?

I've heard references, to it just looking for more information - like where the wear would be... thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
KillitnGrillit said:
The TLE will fit regular 1911 holsters,it's the TLE RL (with rails) that you might have trouble finding a holster to fit.
My bad, I thought all the TLE's had rails... Sorry if I confused the choices here

I went through hell trying to find a holster for by Beretta Vertec..

TLE's just have the night sights + checkering

Thanks

Stasher - many thanks, maybe time for some new followers...
I have 3K through it, all with the McC, no scratches at all, maybe they fixed them - or I got lucky - no sense pushing it though

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
I would second the motion on getting an adjustable sight model. If you are shooting competition and finding good loads, etc. you'll need to be able to adjust the sights for proper point of impact. Otherwise it is frustrating trying to shoot competitively and trying to compensate with "Kentucky windage". Been there, done that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts