1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Series 80 Colt Government model which has a Millet Dual crimped front sight (I bought it used). The front sight is 5mm (.196 to .200 inch) tall from the top of the slide to the top of the sight. The gun came with a high profile LPA adjustable rear sight and it shot too high, about 8 inches at 25 yards and that's with the 6 O'clock sight picture. That sight could not be adjusted any lower. I got a low profile LPA sight and it adjusted to the point of aim but I do not like that sight because it has sharp edges and it's at the very end of its elevation screw, looks like it's going to fly loose at any second. I tried Colt original fixed sight but it shot low. I tried Novak Competition sight and it shot low too. I tried Millett MarkII fixed sight and it shot low too, even though Millett states that a .200 inch front sight has to used with this rear sight. I tried MGW rear but the thing was defective and I almost broke my dovetail trying to install it (thanks to Brownells great service they took it back). Can anyone suggest a rear sight that would shoot at the point of aim at 25 yards with the above mentioned front sight (since changing the front sight is not an option at this time). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I hate it when someone does not respond to the question BUT I think your approach is a** backwards. Your choice of rear sight is the most important. Get the sight picture you want and the degree of snagability (I made that up) or smoothness you need. Then determine front sight width and height.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the gun used, it's been hard chromed and the Millett dual crimped front sight was already on there. My gunsmith refuses to work on the front sight because of the hard chrome finish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the same problem. My Colt series 70 Combat Government slide has a
dual crimp front sight (.195-.200 high) and has a fixed rear sight.
Where can I purchase an adjustable rear sight that will be point of aim at 25 yards.
This is the extra fitted slide for my 'Jack Best '79' hardball pistol.
TIA

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you are trying to use the original rear dovetail, I'd advise trying the Yost-Bonitz Retro rear sight. When I install them, I find that most times the front sight needs to be between .185" & .200" tall. Good Luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked Brownells support about the Yost Bonitz Retro sight and they stated that it is .318 inches tall and the Colt Original rear sight is .322 inches, according to Brownells. Since I tried the Colt original rear sight and the gun shot low, I don't think the Retro sight will be tall enough.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
How much too low did it shoot with the Colt sight? These that ar mentioned are about as tall as are made for the OEM dovetail. Can you shorten your front sight any?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help John. With the OEM rear sight the gun was shooting about 8 inches low at 25 yards. I was also thinking about lowering the front sight. I guess it can be filed down and then touched up with Cold Blue? Because out of all the rear sights I tried I liked the Novak Competition sight the best, but it was shooting about 4 inches low at 25 yards; so I figure if a file about 1 mm (.04 inch) off the front sight, the gun should then shoot at the point of aim. What do you think?

·
Registered
108 Posts
gunsrfreedom said:
I asked Brownells support about the Yost Bonitz Retro sight and they stated that it is .318 inches tall and the Colt Original rear sight is .322 inches, according to Brownells. Since I tried the Colt original rear sight and the gun shot low, I don't think the Retro sight will be tall enough.
I the hight of my fixed rear sight is .220" with a .125" wide notch, and it shoots point of aim at 25 yards (hard ball). Front sight .195-.200" high.
I'm confused.
I do not know if my rear sight is original:scratch:
John, if I send you my Colt slide/barrel/bushing, can you install an adjustable rear sight that will shoot point of aim at 25 yards???:)
TIA

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
Once upon a time, Micro made a very tall plain rear sight to go with tall front sights for early military match pistols, before the Army went adjustable. If you could find one of those, it could be cut down to zero with your existing front.

I do not like the custom of every gunsmith coming out with his own dovetail for a proprietary fixed sight, but the Millett Dual Crimp front sight is even worse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
gunsrfreedom said:
Bill, those rear sight measurements are from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.
I just measured from the bottom of the slide dovetail to the top of the rear sight and got .321" with dial calipers. My pistol shoots point of aim with 230 gr. ball ammo at 25 yards.
Do you have the original barrel/link?
I like the dual crimp front sight--they don't shoot loose!!!
I need to talk to John Harrison on installing an adj. rear sight on my slide.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I have a dual-crimp in one of my guns, and the appearance of the staked area in the slide looks nothing like that. Mine has two distinct, "cupped" rivets. Your looks like a standard tenon sight - which are also available from Millett - or some welding or other was done after the staking.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rick that's very good to know. So can this front sight be replaced by a lower sight without damaging the hard chrome finish? I assume this would be a stake on with wide tenon?

·
Registered
108 Posts
RickB said:
I have a dual-crimp in one of my guns, and the appearance of the staked area in the slide looks nothing like that. Mine has two distinct, "cupped" rivets. Your looks like a standard tenon sight - which are also available from Millett - or some welding or other was done after the staking.
The front sight on my Colt, series 70, Combat Government slide looks the same as RickB's--two distinct cupped rivets. I belive my slide is factory original.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts