1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dirtyharry here and I have a 72 combat commander that needs some reliability work done and I don't just want to send it to any stooge out of phoenix school of gun smithing. :(

I'm in Iowa so if anyone has experience with any quality smiths for this type of work on a sentimental 1911 let me know. Would be willing to pay top dollar for a Professional job! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Wilson Combat is sorta close. John Harrison, Jim Garthwaite, Ted Yost,Jim Hoag, are top 'smiths that are taking on work, and I hear that Chuck Rogers is doing some small jobs. I've also heard good things about JoJo's Gun Works although I've never had anything done by them.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,332 Posts
Needs some reliability work done? What's it doing, or not doing?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Don Williams - Action Works Pistolsmithing. I sent off my '76 Colt LW for a reliability pkg, a few up-grades & refinish. It returned 100% awesome. Price was right to... Fazer

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
+1 on Don Williams/The Action Works... He did my FM HiPower.
Regards,
Andy

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
My question is the same as Rick's: What's unreliable about this pistol?

My '67 Commander has been reliable from out-of-the-box. Only reason she's not still my carry weapon is the lack of decent sights, nothing more. And I ain't willing to cobble the slide for Novaks. :)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I like my pistols to rapid fire without a glitch and this one does not. I've tried tweeking the extractor a little and that helped some. Perhaps it just needs some parts adjusted and or replaced, I don't know. All my other colts will shoot anything- bang bang bang bang until your out if you want, but his one jams. I call that unreliable do you?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If you give some exact symptoms (hangs up on feed ramp, stovepipes, feeds but stops just short of battery, failure to extract, etc.,), might be an easily rectifiable issue...

Naturally, most will assume you have tried different mags (Wilson, CMC), different ammo etc., as not all pistols will necessarily feed Gold Dots or XTPs, etc., with every mag

Recoil springs also require more frequent replacement in a Cmdr length gun. (who is to say someone did not put in an incorrect spring in the past if you are not the original owner? Not everyone knows the Govt and Cmdr have different springs)

A new extractor , if needed, will not match the nickel finish at the rear of the slide, but, may be all that is required for the pistol to work....(you can swap extractors to quickly test this, as the older cmdr can use either a Series 80 or 70 extractor and, you said you had other Colts ...)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
www.millercustom.com Bob Miller is the smith and I recommend him highly, he is very busy these days but he might be your man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts