1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help with Defender ejection - updated

updated with new info

My wife and I just got home from trying out her "new" Colt Defender (bought it "slightly" used, supposedly only had 200 rounds through it). Very nice gun, shot to point of aim, and had no feeding or extraction problems.

Unfortunately, the gun tends to want to eject brass straight into our foreheads. My wife has a couple of small cuts in her forehead, and is NOT happy (an understatement). Didn't do it all the time, but the more we shot, the more often it did it (we shot a total of 100 rounds).

I checked the extractor, and the tension was way too high -- it took a significant amount of force to shove a case under the extractor. So, I lightened the extractor tension a little. Didn't seem to make any real difference with protecting our foreheads, though, might have even gotten a little worse.

On the advice of a friend (who wasn't around when I first posted this), I took a closer look at the hook end of the extractor. It looks like someone (previous owner?) may have taken a file to the bottom corner of the hook and rounded it off. I wonder if they had some feeding problems and tried to modify the extractor to fix it, and then overtensioned the extractor to try to fix the ejection. That might explain why it got worse as we kept shooting.

So, I'm guessing it needs a new extractor. Does that sound right? Any other suggestions or recommendations? I'm going to try calling Colt tomorrow, to see what they say. However, I wanted to also draw on the vast collection of experience here, and see what you guys recommended.

Thanks,
Bill

P.S., I think I now know why the gun had so few rounds. :hrm:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If yours has an extended ejector, as mine does, try shortening it slightly. It doesn't take much - on mine I found that making it .030" shorter sent virtually all cases straight over my head. Occasionally one would graze the top of my head, but not often.

Certain types of ammo are worse than others - Federal Hydra-shoks seemed the be the worst in mine, prior to the fix.

I would take a small file, calipers, and something to protect the frame rail(like a expired credit card, and head to the range). You can file it a bit until you get the desired result.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

I called Colt yesterday, and they said "replace the extractor". So, I ordered one (from Brownell's, since Colt is "shut down" for the holidays and for inventory).

If the new extractor doesn't work, I'll try shortening the ejector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts