1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone here can help me out! I'm trying to get some dark wood grips for my parkerized colt, but don't want ebony. I get stuff from brownells all the time, and am wondering what do I want? Cocobolo? Rosewood? I've seen both of these look dark, and also bright too. I had a loaded parkerized springfield once that had the best looking grips on it-anyone know who they get theirs from? They were dark brown with a black grain to them, combat checkered. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Derek

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Cocobolo and Rosewood can both be quite dark. Rosewood seems more consistantly dark, as Cocobolo often has ligher highlights.

Have a look at Don Williams' www.pickagrip.com site. He has set this up as a "what you see is what you get" sales showroom for stocks from Ahrends and Spegel.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a nice sight, I've checked it out before, and that may be the solution to my "problem." I guess when I see rosewood I think of the McCormick grips which are kinda bright.
thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Roscoe,

Thanks for the plug again. We just got about 50 sets of grips from Ahrends yesterday, and we'll be shooting and posting them probably today and tomorrow. By the way, Ahrends now has a new thin 1911 grip. Comes with all the harware, and will accomodate the "Swenson style" of ambi retention.

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagripcom

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yup

Gotta check out Mr. Williams' site. Gave him a call and he helped me pick out some Blackwood that I want for a 1911 I might have coming in the near future.

He also sent me a jpeg of what the blackwood would look like and it was super dark(Black). I think you'd like it.

Mr. Williams is getting them directly from Craig Speigel.

Ross T.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Originally posted by donw:
Roscoe,
Ahrends now has a new thin 1911 grip. Comes with all the harware, and will accomodate the "Swenson style" of ambi retention.
I hope the stock makers can standardize on hardware. Presently, we have the AFS/Slim-Tech stocks with their proprietary larger-diameter-head, slot-headed screws. Navidrex has just entered the market with thin Micarta stocks that use the AFS/Slim-Tech hardware.

McCormick uses different hardware, with GI-diameter hex-head screws. Now Ahrends enters the market with who-knows-what hardware.

It could quickly get more confusing that the wide tenon/narrow tenon/bastard-sized Springfield tenon front sights, the odd Baer "Commanche" guide rod length, and confusing proprietary stuff.

I haven't tried it or taken any measurements, but I wonder if the AFS and McCormick BUSHINGS are compatible with one another.

Rosco

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Originally posted by donw:
Roscoe,
Ahrends now has a new thin 1911 grip. Comes with all the harware, and will accomodate the "Swenson style" of ambi retention.
I hope the stock makers can standardize on hardware. Presently, we have the AFS/Slim-Tech stocks with their proprietary larger-diameter-head, slot-headed screws. Navidrex has just entered the market with thin Micarta stocks that use the AFS/Slim-Tech hardware.

McCormick uses different hardware, with GI-diameter hex-head screws. Now Ahrends enters the market with who-knows-what hardware.

It could quickly get more confusing that the wide tenon/narrow tenon/bastard-sized Springfield tenon front sights, the odd Baer "Commanche" guide rod length, and confusing proprietary stuff.

I haven't tried it or taken any measurements, but I wonder if the AFS and McCormick BUSHINGS are compatible with one another.

Rosco

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Just for the heck of it, based on Rosco's post, I checked the hardware. Ahrends is using a standard diameter slotted screw for retention. The grips are about .172 thick, which will thin the gun down over the stock grip panels by about .200. They are not thick enouch for true checkering, so Kim has decided to serrate them lengthwise from top to bottom to give them a bit of "grab".

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagripcom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Donw,
You're KILLING me, I just ordered a set of Ivories and then you go and get a new shipment!!! A244 is driving me nuts!! I wonder if my wife will understand if I spend $300 bucks on grips this week??? Or maybe I could just live in your basement or something and to h### with the house payment!
Montana

1 - 13 of 13 Posts