1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like input on what works. I am changing ccw guns and going from a 38snub. to a Springfield 1911-A1 comander size. I think I want a IWB or SOB but would appriciate any input or advise as I am trying to avoid spending money on a holster that will not work. Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'd go with IWB. SOB can be very dangerous. If you were to fall back onto the gun, you could sustain nerve damage (read paralysis). Also (I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty certain) IWB allows for a faster draw.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
79 Posts
Before this SOB thing gets out of hand .... Falling on your gun when it is in the SOB position may break a spinous process but it is not going to give you paralysis. That requires a much, much more severe type of injury with a different mechanism. Incidentally, you could break a rib and get a pneumothorax (collpased lung) if you fell on your gun while it is in IWB position. Concealed carry has its risks.

ljlc

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well, to each their own, since not all body styles can carry as comfortably as others, especially in regard to IWB carry. If constant on and off is going to be a concern however, I can vouch for Mike Bendedict's PDL paddle holster, as I own one. It does the job well, allows for easy on-off, but still hold the gun nice and tight. And that remark is coming from someone who hates normal paddle holsters!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 04-12-2001).]

·
Registered
284 Posts
IMHO, stay away from the SOB. It offers little or no protection/weapon retention.

------------------
"Sic Semper Tyrannus"

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok, let me list some things easier to accomplish than deciding on a holster... completing your Form 1040, getting your CCW, negotitating the release of a U.S. Navy air crew from China... I have IWB's (non-paddle variety) for a 5" 1911, and for an Officers, and they work pretty well. Mine are Kydex and have adjustable retention screws, which are nice. My $0.02.

·
Registered
436 Posts
danc676,

For what it's worth, I've been carrying daily for 11 years. I think you owe it to yourself to try strong-side carry, be it IWB or OWB, before going with SOB carry.

How long did you carry the snub? Where did you carry it? It has been my experience, that when you need your weapon, your hand will go to the place the gun "should be." As an LEO, my hand is programmed to go to the strong side hip. Belt slide, IWB, paddle, whatever, the hand "knows" where to go when it wants a gun. ESPECIALLY if you were carrying strong side before, stick with it. Even if not, it's been my experience that it's the best place to carry. The only exception for me is when I don't feel like carrying a gun at all, then I wear a .38 snub in an ankle holster.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim B (edited 04-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tim B (edited 04-13-2001).]

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Milt Sparks Versamax II can't be beat for concealed carry. They are more comfortable, more secure and less obtrusive than anything I have used.

Reports from people who have used them invariably say the same thing.
www.miltsparks.com

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm not a fan of SOB carry. As others have mentioned, if you fall on your back you can hurt yourself badly. I've spoken with a chiropracter here in MA who has two patients who did just that. Neither were paralyized, but both suffer from chronic pain as a result.

In addition, it is hard not to cross yourself with the muzzle when drawing from or reholstering to an SOB holster. And you have very little strength in that position, so it would be very hard to defend the holstered gun from a grab attempt. It is also very uncomfortable when sitting and almost impossible to draw from while sitting. If you bend over at all, an SOB holster will print like crazy.

Skip the SOB holster and try either IWB or OWB on your strong side hip first. There are lots of good holster makers out there, including:

Lou Alessi: http://www.rfholsters.com
Tony Kanaley: http://www.miltsparks.com
Rusty Sherrick: http://www.c-rusty.com

M1911

·
Registered
538 Posts
M1911 makes many good points. One additional point to me is comfort. Strong side IWB/OWB holsters that are well made and with high quality belts, are all day/night wear. As gun carrier most of my adult life, comfort counts. GLV

·
Registered
150 Posts
I carry a M1911 IWB strong side in a Milt Sparks' VersaMax 2 in the summer. I find it comfortable and secure. Concealability and stability are enhanced by the design because the retaining straps are not over the pistol but to the side of it. I carry in a Dillon C.L.S. belt slide in the cooler months, but aren't many of them here in Florida

Regards,
TBob

------------------
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
- George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by avaldez:
I am so sorry but English is my second language,
What's the meaning of SOB ?
Thanks
Arturo
SOB = small of back. The holster sits on your lower back area, with the gun carried almost horizontally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like the original poster, I too am switching my primary carry gun from a Taurus .38 snubby to a Springfield 1911 (full size). I used to carry the snubby SOB but the 1911 doesn't feel as comfortable that way. I have a Galco OWB holster, but it rides rather low and I have to wear a REALLY long shirt to keep it concealed. Any suggestions for a of an IWB holster for a full size 1911 would be appreciated.

Mick

---------------
"An armed society is a polite society."
--- Robert A. Heinlein

·
Registered
201 Posts
SOB looks cool...

No good when driving...
bend over to pick something up?...nah...you'll have to squat so your sweater won't ride up.

I'm happy two of my friends led me away from buying one...they both have theirs sitting in a box in the cellar somewhere.

My 2 cents.

Stocky

------------------
Anyone who isn't a paranoid schizophrenic now-a-days, just isn't thinking clearly!

·
Registered
560 Posts
For IWB I use the talon Plus from Alessi
you wont regret getting this holster for a full size 1911 and It will get a lot of use

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with the comments about the Milt
Sparks VersaMax II and would recommed it.
It works great with my full size Kimber
(Custom Target). I find it extremely
comfortable to wear and it is easy for me
to conceal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts