1911Forum banner

Need help with holster

1K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Charles King 
#1 ·
I am looking for a holster for my Colt Mark IV Officers 80 Series. The holster must be COMFORTABLE and easily CONCEALED. Preferably one that I can use with my shirt tucked in. I have no experience in this area. Please help me out. Brandon

#5 ·
To my knowledge, ThunderWear, Milt Spark's VersaMax II, and Kramers Confident Shirt are the only holsters that allow you to tuck in a shirt during use. Traditional IWB's don't allow that.
http://www.miltsparks.com http://www.kramerleather.com http://www.thunderbelt.com

As a side note, having a shirt tucked in will slow down your draw time considerably.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

#6 ·
Electric, having a tucked-in shirt can actually speed up the draw for ThunderWear type holsters as the shirt usually goes underneath the holster itself. That's how I do it anyway. One nice side benefit is that it actually helps my shirt stay tucked in better!

#8 ·
Galco also makes an IWB for this purpose, I think.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

#9 ·
With a little practice you can tuck in your shirt and "blouse" around the IWB. Below are pictures of me with a Beretta Mini Cougar,8040F, in a Rosen ARG-Slim. (Sorry Lou no carry pictures of my new CQC/I, which replaced the ARG, they are still in work)

-- Chuck

#12 ·
Originally posted by ctc:
With a little practice you can tuck in your shirt and "blouse" around the IWB. Below are pictures of me with a Beretta Mini Cougar,8040F, in a Rosen ARG-Slim. (Sorry Lou no carry pictures of my new CQC/I, which replaced the ARG, they are still in work)

So, are you simply tucking in your shirt around you IWB, or do you have one that will allow you tuck it in with it in place?

-- Chuck

------------------
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens
of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with
arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)

[This message has been edited by wczimmerman (edited 10-24-2001).]

#13 ·
So, are you simply tucking in your shirt around you IWB, or do you have one that will allow you tuck it in with it in place?
I am tucking my shirt in around the holster. The excess part of the shirt directly over the holster is folded under and "bloused" over the holster. I tuck the shirt in front of and behind the holster and pull a little out to equalize the effect. Picture how your shirt comes out a little all around the belt when you sit for awhile.

BTW, I do have a tuckable Holster the Undershirt by Dave workman that provides a little neater appearance and holds the pistol without any cant.

-- Chuck

[This message has been edited by ctc (edited 10-24-2001).]

#14 ·
CTC,

Can you tell me a little about your experience with the Rosen ARG Slim? I have a Commander-sized 1911 that I was considering purchasing that holster for; it's just that I'd like a little independent feedback before I burn $195 on a holster.

Who makes the CQC/I you're replacing it with? Why are you replacing the Rosen?

Much thanks in advance,

/TCP

#15 ·
Lou Alessi makes the CQC/I - Close Quarter Combat/Inside (WB). http://www.rfholsters.com for his stuff.

I can't tell you anything about the Rosen Rear Guard but my CQC/I is my most worn holster as it is comfortable and conceals well - for me at least.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

#16 ·
JimV,

Thanks for sharing that....I'll be sure to check out Alessi's offering (especially since he's a moderator here, if I read correctly
). Without knowing anything about them, I've heard great things about the Alessi line.

Thanks again for the help!

/TCP

#17 ·
That blousing technique is nice, but there are other options. http://www.comp-tac.com/

The shirt-tucker is a very slick design. The draw stroke has two functions. The support hand yanks the shirt out of the way, and by necessity keeps you from sweeping your hand with the muzzle on the stroke. If your hand isn't busy getting the shirt untucked, it should be against the navel with any other style of IWB holster.

#18 ·
I have a Galco for my officer. It is either the "stealth" or the "Deep cover" I can't tell the difference from the website and they both look like mine. It has worked fine so far. I've heard so much about the VM2, that I'll be getting one as soon as it's made and shipped. I'll be able to compare then.

The Galco I have is designed to have a shirt tucked into it. The reason for ordering the VM2, is the only thing I can see improved for my use is the thickness of the whole holster. The Galco's J hook is right on top of the holster. Adding the additional material so that it is tuckable, it makes it a bit thick. I'm hoping the VM2 with the spread out belt hooks will be a bit thinner as a total package.

#20 ·
bars full auto:
After receiving a gunbelt and holster combination made for me by Rudy Lozano/blackhillsleather.com I would not hesitate to recomend Rudy to you. This man is not only an accomplished Craftsman, this man is an artist! So what ever you may need in leather call Rudy toll free 1-877 712-9434
You will never have to say "I'm sorry"
Valla con Dios,
The Shootist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.