1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new one and start using it today but it is seating the primer high that I could even take the brass out of the holder.

I read the manual several times but nothing is mentioned on how to adjust it. The Prime Rod seems to be too short to get the right seating depth. I know that it is the tool that is causing it because I can seat the primer correctly w/ my Rockchucker press.

Note: I am using the small primer feed and rod to prime a 40 S&W.

Any suggestions are welcome.

TIA,

ASR

·
Registered
316 Posts
Call RCBS they will help you. I used one of their hand tools before I got my Dillon press.

Mine wouldn't work because I had an old style shell holder. RCBS sent me a new one free of charge.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have an RCBS Hand Priming Tool and never use it. Mine never worked right either and I finally gave up and went back to my old reliable Lee Auto-Prime. I've thought about sending the RCBS tool back to them but have never taken the time.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
It could be that the plactic insert in the shell holder is a bit oversized with the shellholder you're using.

I had to adjust mine a little since I don't normally use RCBS shellholders, and since then it has worked like a dream.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Like mentioned above, call RCBS. My RCBS hand primer initially worked fine, then did what yours is doing. Called them, and they sent out a new part for it. Have to admit that the part helped a little, but the primers are still not being seated deep enough. Guess it's time to call again and see if they'll replace the tool this time.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
259 Posts
I guess I am the only one that has one of these that works. I have never had any problems with my RCBS hand primer. It has function without a flaw from "right out of the box". Just my luck, a $25 item is perfect, my $1000 purchases always need repair!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts